Leaking Gas At Shutdown -- ZG222

Mineolatx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2009 ZG222 with 450 hours on it. Just recently it began to leak gas when I shut it down. It seems to run fine but I am not wanting to operate it with a possible gas leak. Has anyone had a similar experience and if so, what did you find was the issue?

Any input would be most appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Where is the fuel leaking from. Have not heard of this problem before.

Mineolatx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Where is the fuel leaking from. Have not heard of this problem before.
I have not done anything but see it drip as it just started doing it last weekend. However, it appears to drip at the very back of the machine and guessing I would say it dripped about 1 teaspoon of gas and then stopped. I will do some serious looking tonight.

Mineolatx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did some checking and the fuel is leaking out of the muffler. I pulled the oil cap and it smelled like gas. The carb must have a stuck needle or float (if it has a float). I know nothing about this carb and I do not have a service manual. The local Kubota dealer is two weeks behind so I really need to get it back running ASAP.

Has anyone experienced this issue? I found a recall on this mower about leaking carbs and a fire hazard, which in my case I can completely understand. Kubota told me my serial number did not indicate my mower was in the recall.?

Any thoughts.

Thanks

lilguy

Threads
You can get kits to overhaul carbs or a new carb. I’d replace the carb. Also any rubber lines going to it. E10 gas can be hell on rubber lines over the years. I use 100% gas in all my powered tools, have to buy 100 octane racing fuel locally to get it but its reduced problems 90%. In weed eater, hedge clipper and chain saws.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Work around ( NOT A FIX ) is to place an inline fuel tap between the fuel tank & the first thing in the system ( filter or pump. ).
Fix is to remove & clean the carb
Check the needle to see if it is damaged.

Mineolatx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the comments. I will begin the tear down and post what I find. I will be doing some extra weedeating around the house until I get the mower running. The other 4 acres I normally keep mowed will just have to wait.

Everyone stay safe.

MrGraff

Forum Newbie
Threads
I run seafoam through my machines regularly because I run pump gas. Havent had any issues doing it this way for close to 15 years now. Anytime my equipment is going to sit for an extended period of time I add seafoam to the tank right before my last use. All this being said, it sounds like a float issue or diaphragm issue... have no clue how the carb is built on these zg2 series.

lugbolt

Threads
the very first generation of ZG222/227 had a recall on the carb. It is still active, but is only applicable to certain serial number range. Call your dealer's service department and ask them to look up your serial number for eligibility for any mandatory recall(s).

Mineolatx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wound up taking the mower to my local Kubota dealer where it stayed for 2 1/2 weeks. After being told I had gas in the crankcase (which is what I told them) and charged $121.00 for an oil/filter change, I was given back the mower with a “no fault found” determination. Kubota told me there is no carb rebuild kit available so either work around the “non-existent” problem or install a new carb. Currently I am working around the problem with a new carb plann ed down the road.

The mower has been a beast maintaining my property over the years so I still love it but Kubota’s customer service is a little disappointing.

Stay safe and healthy.