Leaking carburetors on old HR214SX mowers

jsalis57

Threads
All,

I have acquired three HR214SX mowers that were in various stages in need of repairs. All the engines run to a varying degree but one common thread seems to be a leaking fuel bowl on each one. I have tried a new bowl gasket on one and it still leaked and even doubled up on the gaskets on another and it still leaks. I gave up and bought a OEM Honda carb for one mower and problem solved.

Is there something I am overlooking with these bowl gaskets? Is there something else I should try? Seems simple enough but I have not had any luck stopping the leaks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the float valve is cutting off the fuel the gasket will not leak because the fuel is lower than the gasket.
Bowls do warp but it is not very common unless that were all done up by the same gorilla.

tranchinh

Threads
I have same problem but change gasket will solve problem .remove all trace of old gasket before install new one .Old gasket stay in slot in carburetor body,you have to take carburetor out to see if there is some left.If you leave it in the engine you never see it .I buy whole bunch and its the same size for many difference model
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Float-Bowl...772977&hash=item51dcadac72:g:vwUAAOSw7FRWXzMc

jsalis57

Threads
If the float valve is cutting off the fuel the gasket will not leak because the fuel is lower than the gasket.
Bowls do warp but it is not very common unless that were all done up by the same gorilla.

I only notice the leak when I shut the mower off and it sits for a while. Should the float always keep the level below the gasket? The rubber seat on the float does not appear to be deteriorated in any way. I would think the gasket would keep the fuel from leaking out regardless of the level, or while splashing around during use.
I looked for the warp as you mentioned and that was not the case either. Just seems weird that all three of my mowers did the same, that is what lead me to believe it was the bowl gasket that is dried out due to age and crappy ethanol gas. The problem is even with new gaskets I cannot stop the leak. Makes me wonder if the gaskets I ordered are too small or something.

Thoughts?

jsalis57

Threads
I have same problem but change gasket will solve problem .remove all trace of old gasket before install new one .Old gasket stay in slot in carburetor body,you have to take carburetor out to see if there is some left.If you leave it in the engine you never see it .I buy whole bunch and its the same size for many difference model
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Float-Bowl...772977&hash=item51dcadac72:g:vwUAAOSw7FRWXzMc

Been there and done that unfortunately without success. My gasket looks just like the one you ordered and I was certain there was no old material on either surface.

Does the gasket you use drop right in the carburetor groove precisely or do you have to stretch a tiny bit to fit in? I had to stretch mine just a tiny bit in order to get it to fit into the groove of the carburetor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I only notice the leak when I shut the mower off and it sits for a while. Should the float always keep the level below the gasket? The rubber seat on the float does not appear to be deteriorated in any way. I would think the gasket would keep the fuel from leaking out regardless of the level, or while splashing around during use.
I looked for the warp as you mentioned and that was not the case either. Just seems weird that all three of my mowers did the same, that is what lead me to believe it was the bowl gasket that is dried out due to age and crappy ethanol gas. The problem is even with new gaskets I cannot stop the leak. Makes me wonder if the gaskets I ordered are too small or something.

Thoughts?

For fuel to get out of the carb & go into the engine, air has to get in.
All float bowls are vented somewhere.
the carb leaks internally and you see what looks like fuel dripping from the gasket.
clamp the fuel line , pull off the float bowl hold the float horizontal then undo the clamp.
No fuel should drip out.
If it does then the needle & seat need attention or the float needs replacing / adjusting depending upon which float you have.

You might like to drop & raise the float a few times just to check it's function.

tranchinh

Threads
Been there and done that unfortunately without success. My gasket looks just like the one you ordered and I was certain there was no old material on either surface.

Does the gasket you use drop right in the carburetor groove precisely or do you have to stretch a tiny bit to fit in? I had to stretch mine just a tiny bit in order to get it to fit into the groove of the carburetor.

I actually have to for it in the slot ,Hr214 is about 30 years old,that gasket is dry up and wont come out in 1 piece

tranchinh

Threads
the carb leaks internally and you see what looks like fuel dripping from the gasket.
clamp the fuel line , pull off the float bowl hold the float horizontal then undo the clamp.
No fuel should drip out.
If it does then the needle & seat need attention or the float needs replacing / adjusting depending upon which float you have.

You might like to drop & raise the float a few times just to check it's function.

Thanks.its a good way to sdjust the float

jsalis57

Threads
No fuel should drip out.

Sounds like that may be it, I’ll check again. I am sure the rubber at the end of the float valve is hardened over 30+ years.

Can just the float assembly be purcheased?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is a Honda so each & every part is available as a single item or as a rebuild kit.
Honda have been fighting the Chinese knock offs so the prices on genuine Honda parts has plumeted