LB Gold Series - pull rope won’t pull, Locked

gswEP

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just tried to start my LB this week and could not start the mower. I noticed there was gas smell and fluid dripping out below the muffler. When I tried pull the rope to start it I found it locked- I could not pull the rope. I raised the mower and was able to spin the blades.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
gene

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Willing to bet that the float needle failed, allowing fuel to run through the carb, into the cylinder, into the crankcase. This will cause the cylinder to hydro lock. Remedy, remove the spark plug, and ground the spark plug wire. In a safe outdoor spot pull the recoil over a dozen times. I’ll bet you’ll see a flood of fuel flying out the cylinder. If I’m correct, time to rebuild the carb with a new needle and seat. Change the oil, as it is probably fuel of fuel. Put everything back together and test the unit.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
be sure to change the oil before running it if gasoline pukes out the plug hole if you pull the rope with the spark plug out. Keep in mind that the fuel will come out in a spray, and if there is anything nearby to ignite that spray you will have a flame thrower or very large poof. That igniter includes the spark plug wire lying against the head, or a smoke in your hand or mouth. Water heaters also have pilot flames so do it outdoors.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sg I suggest you read my post, as you just repeated everything I said, except about water heaters.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sg I suggest you read my post, as you just repeated everything I said, except about water heaters.
no - you did not say change the oil BEFORE running it, which is why I added my 2 cents. His temptation will be to get rid of the hydrolock and then just try to start it, changing the oil later. With all the fuel in the oil if he runs it that way it will damage the engine. Everything you said is dead on but he has not been thru this before or he would not be here asking about it. I did not mean to cause any minimizing of what you told him.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think I did in the second to last sentence, but my brain is getting old so maybe my brain just thought about it.

Threads
Wow, "changing oil on a Lawn-Boy"? I guess us 2 cycle guys need to realize there are some 4 cycle LB's out there.
Rocky

gswEP

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the information! I will give these suggestions a try.
The Lawn Boy Gold Series from June 2003 is fuel/oil mix so I won’t need to change the oil.
regards,
gene

gswEP

Forum Newbie
Threads
That did it! I pulled the spark plug, pulled the rope(slowly) and a ton of fuel came flying out! I then pulled the rope aggressively and seem to be ok.
Next step….rebuild the carburetor with a new needle and seat.
Thanks,
gene

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, I missed Gold Series, should have taken my own advice and read your post better. You will still need to get all that extra fuel out of the crankcase. You will probably need to remove the muffler and drain fuel out the exhaust port.