Lazer Z: Melted harness connector

Na zdrowie

Forum Newbie
Threads
20221010_134109.jpg 20221010_134122.jpg
I noticed several months ago this connector in the back of my engine (Kohler 23hp). I have no idea how long it has been like that. With many mows this year, it does not appear to be getting any worse, and after every mow, I touch the piece and it is not in any way hot or even warm.
And the mower works fine, although am getting intermittent issues so not too sure the issues are not related to this:
1. PTO switch will intermittently disengage (replaced it already and still happening)
2. The battery (although only one month old - and the second battery this year), has to be charged in order to start the engine

Now my two questions:
1. Anyone care to guess how this could have melted? It is secured to the frame with a tie so it does not get close to the hot engine or parts.
2. Without replacing the entire harness, is this something that can be repaired? The assumption is that there is not something wrong with the electrical which would be a different issue altogether.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That usually happens when the electric PTO is partially shorted or the F56 (Packard, GM, Aptiv) terminals are loose.

The terminals and connector housing would need replacing but first test the PTO for current draw or resistance below 1.7 ohms. Also make sure there no resistance (open circuit) reading as it is normal isolated from frame ground.

NOte: PTO switches only rated for 5 amp current.

Na zdrowie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great call on this StarTech. While I could not fix this on my own, it was detemined from the shop that the PTO was indeed bad, causing the melted harness and the battery issues. Good stuff. All fixed and ready for the season.