Lawnboy 10515 Rear Drive Wheels

Buzz Waxwing

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought new rear wheels for my 10515 self propelled however the issue I am having is when I install them the fit is so tight they barely turn. What I discovered is the cover that goes over the drive gears doesn't fit on the new wheel. The original wheel has a recessed area the the cover sits in the new wheel does not. The dealer says the part is the correct (92-1042) and they will return them but they don't know why
they won't work. Any ideas? I've included pictures. The first picture is the original wheel. Does this seem like the right part?
original wheel.JPGnew wheel.JPGcover.JPG

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things I see real quickly. Way, way, way too much grease, clean everything off. Grease on these plastic gears does nothing but attract dirt, which will cause premature wear and failure. Second, you need a step washer in that gear cover. Without that washer the axle bolt will tighten down too far, not allowing the wheel to turn.

Buzz Waxwing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two things I see real quickly. Way, way, way too much grease, clean everything off. Grease on these plastic gears does nothing but attract dirt, which will cause premature wear and failure. Second, you need a step washer in that gear cover. Without that washer the axle bolt will tighten down too far, not allowing the wheel to turn.
Thanks for the reply I do have that step washer and I wish that were the problem but unfortunately it isn't. That cover is exactly the same size as the "hub" of the new wheel and it just won't fit without that "milled" step for lack of a better word. I don't know if there is a way I could turn that wheel make that step myself. I hate to return them but that will probably be my only solution but I still won't have a wheel that works.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That cover should NOT contact the wheel when installed correctly. Which means that recess means nothing. The step washer needs to be installed on the inside of the cover, between the wheel and cover. If the cover gets tight, something is installed incorrectly.

intruder1500

Threads
This may help. Link to Parts Tree website drawing showing step washer location.

I will also check my back up wheels I have in storage as I think I now understand what you are saying about the milled step after looking at your pics again.

intruder1500

Threads
I bought new rear wheels for my 10515 self propelled however the issue I am having is when I install them the fit is so tight they barely turn. What I discovered is the cover that goes over the drive gears doesn't fit on the new wheel. The original wheel has a recessed area the the cover sits in the new wheel does not. The dealer says the part is the correct (92-1042) and they will return them but they don't know why
they won't work. Any ideas? I've included pictures. The first picture is the original wheel. Does this seem like the right part?
View attachment 54161View attachment 54162View attachment 54163
Okay, now I get it....just went and checked my parts bin. The wheel cover overlaps the step on the wheel hub and the step washer prevents them from touching each other. Without that step in the hub you would need a step washer that was way thicker to prevent them from contacting each other. I think your replacement wheels are not manufactured correctly.....unless the cover goes right over the hub on the new wheel ( which is not the correct way to manufacture it in my opinion ). Not sure what you paid for them but I usually look for cheap junk mowers for parts when I need them. Those 92-1042 wheels are common across many Lawn Boy models.