Lawn Tractor Craftsman 22hp 42" automatic transmission, lurches forward and reverse, after the lerches either direction.

Johner

Threads
  • / Lawn Tractor Craftsman 22hp 42" automatic transmission, lurches forward and reverse, after the lerches either direction.
AFTER learching in either direction mower drives smooth, does not pop back into neutral unless you step on the break. These machines are a dog to work on, What I have done remove the gas tank lubed the clutch cable and plastic forks, made foot peddle smoother to operate, did not see any broken parts. I think the problem could be the connection between the break and forward reverse interaction, cannot see much at all for the interaction. Must you really have to remove the floor pan and steering coelom to see the connections? Thank you for any information.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Lawn Tractor Craftsman 22hp 42" automatic transmission, lurches forward and reverse, after the lerches either direction.
Since you don’t give us a model number, I’m going to guess you have a variable speed unit with two belts and variable pulley. When was the last time you changed the belts? As the belts wear on these drive systems they like to slip and grab. If they are over three years old I would start by replacing the belts. They should always be changed together.

Johner

Threads
Since you don’t give us a model number, I’m going to guess you have a variable speed unit with two belts and variable pulley. When was the last time you changed the belts? As the belts wear on these drive systems they like to slip and grab. If they are over three years old I would start by replacing the belts. They should always be changed together.
sorry 917.203900
Did think about the belts, they look in good shape. I know what your talking about, 500 hours. Hate to buy anything unless I am sure

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’ve gotten all the life out of those belts, if they have 500 hours on them. Time to replace, normally recommend 200 hours, even if they look good. Remember your old flames, looks never tell condition or if they really like you.

Johner

Threads
You’ve gotten all the life out of those belts, if they have 500 hours on them. Time to replace, normally recommend 200 hours, even if they look good. Remember your old flames, looks never tell condition or if they really like you.
You are right in process of ordering belts. Thought they might be more expensive, not so, very reasonable
Thank you for the advice. Your a smart man,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
GTI RS800P

You should also change out of the Plastic/Nylon composite v-idlers in the drive belt path. They wear heavily make the v-belt seem longer than it is too.

There is a lot cleaning that needs to be done on top the transaxle. As grass and debris will cause problems with these RS800 CVT transaxles. And here info related to brake pedal that needs attention also.
1655898799698.png
1655898833143.png
As side note these plastic housing transaxle do have external plastic parts that wear heavily.

No wonder most OEMs has dropped these GTI transaxles.

Last edited:

Johner

Threads
Yes sir there was plenty of debris in areas you mentioned. In beginning the clutch mechanism felt like it was hanging up. Each time I put a little spray here and there that problem got better. Right now seams the hang-up is a lot better will tell when another test after belts installed. Have it raised up looking for other problem areas along the linkage. Wished they made these machine with better access. Guess that's the way they make them to stay competitive. Slight differences seam they all were stamped from the same mold. Thanks again, going to invent a skinny rubber arm.

jak3676

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 917-203911 with that same transmission and similar problems. It looks like these may help

or