Lawn Boy M Series

birdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a three M series mowers that are in need of transmission service. One of my mowers had an output shaft bearing failure. Manual states to use LB AX grease in the transmission. When I opened up the transmission the original lawn boy grease was hard and no longer doing it's job. This is what caused the bearing failure. The mower with the bad bearing has only been in use for about 4 years and was purchased "new old stock" from a local LB enthusiast. Great find and since this mower has the Toro transmission it has become my main mower. I have recently picked up two more Toro transmissions that I will be using to convert my other two mowers. Don't ask me why but I really love these mowers!

My question is what grease should I be using in these M series transmissions?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use any good axle grease i have a home or we have in the shop. No need to buy the expensive stuff.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've seen several posts on here about using a 00 grade grease that is semi fluid and not expensive. Get it at Tractor Supply I believe. Might search the site here for a picture of the lube so you'll know what you're looking for.

birdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in luck, I have a quart bottle of the 00 grease.