Lawn Boy 22261 coil problem or ??

Jean-Marc

Threads
Hello to all ; probably a problem already know by you peoples, but it is new to me: Just acquire a 22261 model which as been left outside for a long time ..Long story short: at first it starts but carburetor over flow and leak; so i replace with a whole new carburetor (float and needle worn in the used one,etc ) ; install and try : ran but seems un- adjust (governor maybe or.. ) So re-dismantle and re-install everything with governor better: now no start and NO spark ! Change plug : same results ; Kill switch wire seems Ok , measure coil resistance : 1160 ohms about ; From body of coil to kill terminal : open; From HV plug wire inside, to terminal kill : open; I am lost ; How come a ignition coil went bad like that ? The coil is marked : DVL - Germany made ; What should i do to diagnose the coil ? Please help me on this ..! Thanks a lot

bogdaN

Threads
unplug kill switch wire and test for spark.No spark bad coil,if you have spark than on-off switch or wire need attention.

Jean-Marc

Threads
Thanks bogdaN ; No, still no spark without kill sw wire... I heard about some baking process Can it help ? How long and at which temperature ? I just wonder how a coil went bad when the only thing i did was to replace the carburetor ...? Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve seen coils go bad while I’m working on a unit. Spark one minute, not spark 5 minutes later. Personally I would say “I’ve got a better chance of baking a good apple pie than baking a coil”. That’s coming from a guy who’s wife is a culinary instructor and I’m not allowed in the kitchen.

bogdaN

Threads
Temperature 350 about 45 minutes Wrap it up in foil and give a try.

Jean-Marc

Threads
Oh really 350 degrees ,i am surprise how hot this is; Ok i will give it a try soon

Jean-Marc

Threads
Ok now the coil problem is fix ; I did try the mower (fast throttle ) Starts easy , but at VERY low rpm , like almost going to stop, but no; after a while (throttle at fast always ) the engine revs up to about a normal speed and runs; notice now that the governor went from far right (top view ) to full left
I did replace the carburator before and install it as receive (no adjustments touched) So i wonder if the governor setting is Ok ...?
If i put the speed to slow speed and put it up high -speed after , it will stays at very low rpm and eventually (long time ) will catch up rpm and revs up;
I dont really know where the governor setting should be... Please describe me a normal operation of the governor spring and how to set the click wheel at first Thanks

Jean-Marc

Threads
Could it be the coil again, since after baking it seems to work but maybe intermittent ...?

Jean-Marc

Threads
Follow up on this issue : Replace spark plug, new gaz, same problem : Sequence : start easy, at high speed setting but runs at very low speed; After about few minutes rpm went up until normal operation ; If i lower the speed setting lever and reset after to high speed : same low speed condition occured , and after few minutes regain high speed normal...Ideas ? Thanks

bogdaN

Threads
sound like carburetor-governor issues.Can you check if that gov.vane is moving free not sticking.Also is that spring in gov vane hooked up properly.