Lawn Bird Repellant

Perry

Threads
Possibly long odds because birds of a New Zealand feather won't flock together with yours.

The property has pet ducks, so any sort of avian poison is not an option. Some (so far unidentified) bird is shredding the lawn. (Pix below) In some places, I've netted the worst areas, but I can't net the entire 3000 square metres!! The lawn is maintained by a Husqvarna robotic mower.

So I wonder is there's some sort of bird repellent option. Chemical, mechanical, electronic? Any suggestions?

P.S.

The area is (pop-up sprinkler) irrigated daily,

2021_mar_lawn_damage1.jpg

2021_mar_lawn_damage2.jpg

2021_mar_lawn_damage3.jpg

2021_mar_lawn_damage_netting.jpg

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, strange. Hopefully someone will jump in here with some actual help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure that it is bird damage ?
Looks very odd.
Easiest solution is a yappy dog

Tjstampa

Threads
It looks like an animal rooting for grubs or other insects

gr0uch0

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had a problem with Canadian geese previously, as our home is waterfront, and they had set up camp annually. Read that one of their natural predators is a coyote, and purchased coyote decoys on Amazon. Put the decoys on the shoreline, and voila: geese head elsewhere. I have to move them around to make them more lifelike, but they've done the trick. Neighbors have used flashy strips of Mylar that seems to work also: slightest wind will make them flutter and the glint off the sun keeps them away as well. Good luck.

Perry

Threads
Are you sure that it is bird damage? Looks very odd. Easiest solution is a yappy dog
Definitely a bird. I've observed some / one from a distance.

An ideal would be some sort of weather-proof, battery operated gadget that could be hung from the trees, close by.

As for a yappy dog, the drawbacks well outweigh the potential (only) benefit.

Tjstampa

Threads
There used to be motion activated sprinklers. I don’t know if they are still available. I last bought one on sky mall and it worked. It has been at least 12 years since I have flown commercial so that was probably 15 years ago.

Perry

Threads
There used to be motion activated sprinklers. I don’t know if they are still available. I last bought one on sky mall and it worked. It has been at least 12 years since I have flown commercial so that was probably 15 years ago.
A motion activated whatever would indeed be suitable.

Like a battery-powered jack-in-the-box.