Lawboy 10650C self-propel issues - drive shaft moving laterally and eating wheel gears

Scarypat

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Lawboy 10650C self-propel issues - drive shaft moving laterally and eating wheel gears
Hi everyone,

This might have been addressed on a previous post, so please direct me to the right one. Here's my problem.

I have a 12 yr-old Lawboy model 10650C, rear wheel self propelled with electric start. Everything works perfectly on this machine, except the self-propel system. This lawnboy worked on a small flat yard for 8 years, but for the last 4 has to work hard on my 40% incline 15,000 sqf yard, and it does not like it at all... The drive system is eating up the wheel plastic gears and is skipping gears like crazy. When it started doing this, I replaced both wheels and pinions mid-summer but it already ate the right wheel gear within a month.

On further investigation, I noticed that 1) the gear box and right drive shaft move about 3/8" laterally, which causes the pinion to not engage fully over the wheel gear and 2) there seems to be a gap between the pinions and gears (the pinion does not engage deep into the wheel gear) but there is no whobble where the shaft goes through the mower casing. I'm wondering if the mower lost a part that keeps the drive and transmission from moving (might have rusted out). The replacement wheels I got where the same nylon gear model as the original, but I found out that a metal gear wheel exists. Could that be the only issue? I also have not checked if there is a way to adjust the pinion to close the pinion-gear gap by moving the shaft position through the casing.

I'd hate to have to buy a new mower since everything else works fine, and I love the electric start. Anybody ever had the same issues?

thx in advance for the help!

Pat

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Lawboy 10650C self-propel issues - drive shaft moving laterally and eating wheel gears
My guess is that one or both of the grooves that hold the transmission in alignment is worn, allowing the shaft to drift laterally. If I’m correct there isn’t any thing you can do besides replacing the transmission and shaft. New transmission runs over $75. This manual may be of some help as you troubleshoot the problem. https://www.toro.com/getpub/22446

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, you are going to have to replace the transmission, shaft, wheel gears, and C-clips. You may even need new wheels. Good luck with your project!