Landlord with 18HP Briggs Vanguard shuts down when hot

ollieboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Landlord with 18HP Briggs Vanguard shuts down when hot
I have an early 2000’s simplicity landlord, with an 18HP Briggs Vanguard that I bought in 2018. I only had it a short time when it started to shut down if the outside temperature was hot, and had been cutting for about 20 minutes or less. At the time I was told it was the fuel solenoid, so $180.00 later I purchased a new solenoid. Less then 2 years later and it’s doing the same thing. I removed the solenoid, drilled out the plunger to eliminate it from shutting off the fuel, and cut off the wire. It was cool outside when I did this and it cut great. Today it was quite hot, and back to shutting down after cutting about 20 minutes. I now know it’s NOT the fuel solenoid. Is there something electrical that can be breaking down when it gets hot. After it cools down it starts well and runs again until it gets hot again. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

ollieboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this getting hot then shutting down and not starting, but then starting great once it cools down for an hour or so, characteristic of a failing coil?
can they be checked to confirm they are failing, or is it just a replace and see? Since it is a twin, how do I determine which one, or do I have to buy two coils and then see if the problem is resolved? Sounds like it might be a rather expensive troubleshooting method if it ends up not being the problem. I appreciate your help, and could use any troubleshooting tips you might be able to give me. It’s really a pain to cut my 2 acres unless the weather is cool, and the heat is just getting started!!
Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Get one or two inline spark testers like I posted above, when the motor dies, hook them up, and turn the key, look for spark in the viewing window.
also, does it sputter and die, or shut off like you turned the key?

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
An engine that is "capable" of running but shuts down when hot is either being starved of air or fuel, or is experiencing an electrical problem, likely an issue with spark as someone has already stated. Since some of the electronics are close to the engine, it might also be worth checking to see how hot the engine is actually getting. Have you taken the engine shroud off to make sure that there is not grass debris sitting atop the heads? A buildup of grass here will overheat the magneto(s) or voltage regulator causing a condition in which the engine cannot run.

ollieboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
The first thing I did was removed the shroud and blew out all the fins, housings, any debris under or around the engine, and in the chassis around the engine compartment. And when it stops, it doesn’t sputter, its just like shutting off the key.

gsim

Threads
I have an early 2000’s simplicity landlord, with an 18HP Briggs Vanguard that I bought in 2018. I only had it a short time when it started to shut down if the outside temperature was hot, and had been cutting for about 20 minutes or less. At the time I was told it was the fuel solenoid, so $180.00 later I purchased a new solenoid. Less then 2 years later and it’s doing the same thing. I removed the solenoid, drilled out the plunger to eliminate it from shutting off the fuel, and cut off the wire. It was cool outside when I did this and it cut great. Today it was quite hot, and back to shutting down after cutting about 20 minutes. I now know it’s NOT the fuel solenoid. Is there something electrical that can be breaking down when it gets hot. After it cools down it starts well and runs again until it gets hot again. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
If unit is air cooled, I'd look at debris filter first. Might be simple case of debris clogged up the air flow. Another culprit can be crud built up around cooling fins on head and or cylinders. Electrical components for ignition can fail due to heat also.

Tcannon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been having the same issue with my 20 hp vanguard in a simplicity broadmoor. I've replaced the coils, plugs, oil and filter and both fuel filters. I'm still having the same issue. I believe its electrical related because the mower will operate fine with the hood off. This seems to be more of an issue when it's hot vs cool. Did you ever find the culprit?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first thing I did was removed the shroud and blew out all the fins, housings, any debris under or around the engine, and in the chassis around the engine compartment.
I'm like a proud new baby daddy right now. Good for you my boy!! (y)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tcannon,
Not a good idea to tack onto another thread
If you hood ( Blower housing ? ) is metal then good chance one of the kill wires is rounding out against it
If plastic then it is pushing one of the kill wires against the engine
kill circuit is a grounding circuit , open works , grounded turned off .