Kubota Zero Turn won't start.

Wiz222

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kubota z122EBR (residential gas) mower. 154 hours. Purchased used with a little over 100 hours a couple of years ago. It has a 22 HP Briggs & Stratton Professional Series engine.

Won't start:
  • Cranks fine, just doesn't seem to fire
  • Spark testers show spark on both cylinders (one may be weaker than the other. Hard to tell in daylight)
  • Spark Plugs changed last season.
  • Lift your butt off the seat, won't crank
  • If the parking brake is not engaged, it won't crank
  • Engage/disengage the mower deck I hear a click, and won't crank while engaged.
  • Move either steering bar in, won't crank.
  • I see gas in the fuel filter.
  • The tank was about 1/4 full when it died. Added more gas.
  • The engine has oil. The last time it was used, which was the first time this season, it was running poorly and I parked it. Later when I checked on it, it had an oil puddle under it and discovered the oil filter had come loose over the winter and it was low on oil. I changed the oil and filter. It ran fine for 45 minutes or more before dying.
Looking for where do I start to diagnose? TIA!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try adding a small amount of gas into the intake and see if it starts and continues to run, starts and then dies, or doesn't start at all.

sivicman

Threads
A friend of mine had this problem where it would crank, but not start. Come to find out the valves were out of adjustment.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Really think you need to sell it, to me. That thing will never run again. I will give you 10% of the scrap price if you act within the next 30 minutes.

mcspeed

Threads
Kubota z122EBR (residential gas) mower. 154 hours. Purchased used with a little over 100 hours a couple of years ago. It has a 22 HP Briggs & Stratton Professional Series engine.

Won't start:
  • Cranks fine, just doesn't seem to fire
  • Spark testers show spark on both cylinders (one may be weaker than the other. Hard to tell in daylight)
  • Spark Plugs changed last season.
  • Lift your butt off the seat, won't crank
  • If the parking brake is not engaged, it won't crank
  • Engage/disengage the mower deck I hear a click, and won't crank while engaged.
  • Move either steering bar in, won't crank.
  • I see gas in the fuel filter.
  • The tank was about 1/4 full when it died. Added more gas.
  • The engine has oil. The last time it was used, which was the first time this season, it was running poorly and I parked it. Later when I checked on it, it had an oil puddle under it and discovered the oil filter had come loose over the winter and it was low on oil. I changed the oil and filter. It ran fine for 45 minutes or more before dying.
Looking for where do I start to diagnose? TIA!
Most likely carburetor issue. Sitting with fuel in it tends to cause issues. Remove carb, clean it thoroughly, or I’d just rebuild it using OEM kit. DO NOT buy Chicom rebuild kit or carb……you will regret it.

lugbolt

Threads
I ain't never had much luck cleaning those briggs and scrapiron carburetors (nikki I think they are?). Junk. Seriously. I have replaced a few of them, though.