Kubota RTV900 Fuel Injection Pump dropped 3 screws

PM123

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kubota RTV900 Fuel Injection Pump dropped 3 screws
Hi

I picked up a dead RTV900 that wouldn't start due to issues in the fuel injection system.
After pulling out the injection pump, I immediately saw that 3 of the four screws which hold in the rack, were missing.
The pump is of course a Zexel with #53071-48610
These three screws must have fallen down into the engine. The dealer doesn’t list or carry these screws.

Questions:
- where can I get new screws , what size are these?
- how can I recover the missing screws or is it safe to leave them in the engine and let them end up in the oil sump?

Thank you !
F2D64FC9-B362-4A55-A06F-81BD71DC45CF.jpeg

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They will be metric. At least you got one left to take in for sizing at a place like Fastenal or if can determine their size from a place like Master/Carr online. But Kubota doesn't sell these screws separate of the injector.

1631188548521.png
As for missing screws you do need try to find them as they can do a lot upper cylinder damage. I know not what you wanted to hear but it is necessary. Sometimes you get lucky they have blown through to the exhaust but not always. I have cylinder heads and pistons because screws. So far been lucky the cylinder walls were undamaged but that can happen too if the screw get on the edge of the piston.

Also you need to determine the full model number of the RTV900 for correct parts look-up. Here is a list of the models.
1631188726781.png
1631188778682.png

Last edited:

PM123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I’ll start by pulling the pan and hope to get lucky and find the 3 missing screws.

lugbolt

Threads
I have been seeing a few of these do the same thing on different types of equipment using the same D902-based engine. In the past I've never even heard of it. SO it makes me wonder what's going on. Maybe a few got out of the factory without thread locking compound?

Had an Exmark in the shop the other day same issue. Owner didn't want to pull the motor to get the pan off & search for a missing tiny screw, so I just stuck an old speaker magnet to the bottom of the pan.

PM123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good idea with the magnet on the oil pan. Btw, there are really powerful magnets inside computer hard-drives, takes small torx to open but the pair of magnets inside are like no others.

We found replacement screws at theAce hardware store. Should we be using the blue or red Loctite?