KT730 engine surging then dying.

hale1114

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a KT730 on a Craftsman mower. This mower has less than 20 hours on it. It ran fine for awhile, then died in thick grass. I couldn't get it started and had a warranty repair company take it. They cleaned out the fuel system and said the head gasket was blown. I got it back. Less than 10 minutes later it was doing the same thing. The engine surges (with or without the PTO engaged) until it finally dies. Of course, while it the engine is surging, the blades aren't cutting properly and the speed is inconsistent.
The gas is good, the fuel filter is fine. Seems like it runs better when it's choked.
Possibly related: Inside the air filter there's an oily liquid that's not gasoline. Not sure where that's coming from. Maybe from the breather hose?
Any help with this would be appreciated. Lowes (where I got it) insists I take it back to the people who charged me $300 to pick it up and drop it off. It's past the return period. I have a mower repair guy I trust but I'd like to try to fix it if I can.

Link to video:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fuel related. Possibly something in the fuel tank cutting off fuel flow. Either that or the fuel venting system isn't working properly. Next time it does it try loosening the fuel cap and see what happens.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At those hours can also be bad fuel or water in the fuel .