KT725 leaking valve covers

wafflesngravy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, I read a couple of posts and I'm mostly sure my valve covers are the source of my oil leak (which is a slow drip onto the muffler). I'm going to clean everything this weekend to find out for sure, but my question is should I put a gasket on instead of relying on the RTP sealant method? Should I use RTP and a gasket? I can't seem to find a cork gasket for it on Amazon and I read some posts on here about people making them because nobody sells them. What would you suggest?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you have the plastic covers the o-rings are NLA. The new replacement cover are stamped steel and are RTV on with new shorter screws.

When using the RTV you need to have all the oil removed from the sealing surfaces, Apply the surface/accelerate before applying the RTV. Then the covers are in place the screw are only tighten finger tight for 12 hrs and then they are torque to spec. Do not start the engine during this curing time. If oil is allowed to touch the RTV it will not cure properly.

And those don't know there is an actual surface spray for the Permatex RTV and most auto parts stores do not carry it. But as an alternate you can use brake cleaner for the oil removal.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have switched from the various colors of RTV silocone sealants to "the right stuff" it costs a little more but i have had zero leaks with it. Use as a standalone gasket maker or as gasket dressing.

wafflesngravy

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK thanks guys! Mine are metal and original, the mower is about 6 years old. Its' been a slow leak for a year or so but this year I plan to (hopefully) finally correct it. Been watching some videos and I think I have the procedure down. I was just wondering if a gasket should also go in, but it sounds like that shouldn't be needed if I do this right.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just one note I didn't mention and that is the screws over the exhaust port tends to be galled in place so they may break off. If they do you need to drill them out as centered as possible to the M7-100 tapping size and tap. Now M7-100 will be a little hard to find but here. Fastenal has the tools and the screws. I don't off the top of my head remember the drill bit size used for the tap and I not at the shop today. Helping a customer on site today with an old tractor engine.