kolhler 22 courage

trak

Forum Newbie
Threads
neighbors gave zero turn to me last fall, i worked on the valve settings and got it running, can't remember if i maybe pulled the flywheel, i don't think so, but this year the starter gear is rubbing against the bottom of the flywheel for some reason. the starter gear seems to be completely down. ? ty

trak

Forum Newbie
Threads
neighbors gave zero turn to me last fall, i worked on the valve settings and got it running, can't remember if i maybe pulled the flywheel, i don't think so, but this year the starter gear is rubbing against the bottom of the flywheel for some reason. the starter gear seems to be completely down. ? ty
the flywheel has up and down play, seems like something wore and the flywheel is now closer to the starter? anyone , just mean the engine is wore smooth out?

Born2Mow

Threads
Starters only engage the flywheel during the "cranking process". Afterwards they disengage. So the starter pinion should NOT be touching the flywheel at all while stopped or running. That's normal.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
how much up and down play?
generally small engines do allow for play up and down which is the end play of the crankshaft. generally between 5 and 30 thousandths of an inch.

trak

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the input, tapped the starter down and it stopped hitting, also found the starter drive to be junk, broke two teeth off the flywheel in the process. if i fix it, gonna need a starter, ty

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The starter pinion is a replaceable item they are just a few dollars .
A little fiddely to do if you have never done one before .
Usually about 1/2 the price of replacing the starter if done by a workshop.
A small repairer will do it a lot cheaper than a big glass front retail complex