Kohler XT6.75 difficult to start when engine is cold

Jetfan2207

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler XT6.75 difficult to start when engine is cold
Hi, I have a 6 year old Toro with a Kohler engine on it. The thing has run flawlessly until late last season. It would intermittently be difficult to start when the engine was cold. I attributed this to the cooler temps outside being around 50/60 degrees since it was early fall and didn’t pay it much mind.

I always winterize my equipment, run the engine dry, change the oil, plug and air filter along with cleaning the machine and sharpening the blade. I also run Stabil 360 through the year and only run 93 octane in all my small engines.

When I took the mower out of hibernation this spring it started on the first pull as it usually does. However the last 2 times I have used it I had to pull the rope at least 10 times before it would start. Once the engine is started it will restart on the first pull. It seems to only have the issue upon initial start up….. but it seems to be getting worse since it is doing it every-time now, not just intermittently.

Any ideas what it could be? I thought the carb was clogged but it looks clean in there and I would think it wouldn’t start at all and also be difficult to start even when warmed up.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
when the engine is cold (hasn't ran) remove the air filter and look to see if the choke is Completely CLOSED.

Jetfan2207

Forum Newbie
Threads
when the engine is cold (hasn't ran) remove the air filter and look to see if the choke is Completely CLOSED.
Thank you! I will check this tomorrow. I forgot to mention it has the stupid auto-choke thing. Probably the culprit. Thanks again.