Kohler valve cover

skip49

Threads
Didn’t want to pull a valve cover if I didn’t have what I needed to replace it. Can someone tell me if my valve covers use a gasket, or does the factory just use RTV Silicone, or equivalent?
The engine is Kohler 7000 series, specifically the KT 740, 25 hp, 725cc.
Thanks,
Skip

Mower King

Threads
Didn’t want to pull a valve cover if I didn’t have what I needed to replace it. Can someone tell me if my valve covers use a gasket, or does the factory just use RTV Silicone, or equivalent?
The engine is Kohler 7000 series, specifically the KT 740, 25 hp, 725cc.
Thanks,
Skip
Yes, they use sealant and are prone to leakage after awhile, especially at the bottom next to the Exhaust pipe side. If you're gonna re-seal it, use GOOD High Temp sealant.

skip49

Threads
Thank you, yes, you nailed it. 102 hours, engine bone dry EXCEPT the lower left valve cover, as you said, right over the muffler.
Thanks,
Skip

Mower King

Threads
Thank you, yes, you nailed it. 102 hours, engine bone dry EXCEPT the lower left valve cover, as you said, right over the muffler.
Thanks,
Skip
On a side note....make sure your ENGINE and all cooling fins (on heads under the top shroud) are clear of grass debris and, run the engine at FULL throttle at all times....it will help keep the eng cool and less likely to repeat the leaking problem at the valve covers!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And the screw next to the exhaust tends to be the one galled in place and may break off. IF it should have broken then it is drilled out here and re-tapped to M7-100.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, I usually break at least 1 almost every time.

Still cuss loudly,
every time.....

Mower King

Threads
Yeah, I usually break at least 1 almost every time.

Still cuss loudly,
every time.....
Huh.....I must be lucky, I've never broken 1 of those Kohler valve cover bolts in the dozens I have re-sealed, I do use an air ratchet on them though and maybe the sudden impact loosens them where a slow hand held ratchet twists them off, don't know.....but I do know tomorrow is Monday, back at it again so.....there is always that chance!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes you must be lucky or it is Cub Cadet thing. I even tried shocking the screws and they still break off half the time. But the drive pulley and PTO clutch tend to be rusted on too as Cub doesn't use any anti-seize on the crankshafts.

And Fish that is why buy the 7mm screws by the box full. Also learn how tap the aluminum with taps jamming and breaking; which is a real pain to remove if one breaks off.