Kohler SKH 398 14HP wiring question.

mcostello

Threads
I am adapting a Kohler SKH 398, model CH 135, spec 225u8 from an unknown mower into a log splitter. It starts and runs great, charges according to the gauge, but does not shut off. I really don't want to keep pulling the plug wire off ⚡. I have attached a diagram from the Web and have wired the motor like it. Anyone have any advise? Thanks for all help.

Attachments

• kohler-ignition-switch-wiring-diagram-kohler-ignition-switch-wiring.gif
    kohler-ignition-switch-wiring-diagram-kohler-ignition-switch-wiring.gif
    65.3 KB · Views: 10

mcostello

Threads
Per help from on another forum I found a white wire hidden under the main harness plug . I took a chance and grounded the wire and the engine stopped. Success. I am adding this to the record in case it helps Someone else.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Please verify the engine numbers as it appear more likely to be a CH13S-22508.

mcostello

Threads
There is a smear on the label right there, You maybe right.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If I am then the engine came off a Cub Cadet mower or at that what the spec number comes up with it designed for Cub Cadet.

Also the diagram is wrong for this engine and if you had connected 12v to the ignition coil it would have destroyed it. It is a magneto type ignition and a battery powered type. It also requires a different ignition then the one in the image you posted.

Now this is an example of magneto ignition system with electric start and alternator. Now of course you will need everything picture due to being used on a log splitter so it just to give you the idea of how to generally setup things. It does have the correct ignition switch pictured.
1644064973716.png

Attachments

• 1644064948149.png
    1644064948149.png
    498 KB · Views: 3

mcostello

Threads
I have a 4 terminal ignition switch on it. It does not have a coil and points. Everything seems to work right now, I am wondering if it is charging as the gauge shows discharge when cranking, and about 1/2 volt+ if that when running. The battery has run down but it was 17° out and the battery is around 10 years old. Automotive size battery. How to check charging? Seems like contunity between B+ and B- on wires to regulator.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You should have a 41 403 10-S regulator. It has two AC terminals and a B+ terminal with the regulator case being B- which is directly grounded to the engine.

Remove connector from rectifier-regulator. With engine running at 3600 RPM, measure AC voltage across stator leads using an AC voltmeter. If voltage is 28 volts or more, stator is OK.

Now turn off the engine and reconnect the voltage regular connector. Now again with the engine at 3600 rpms, if voltage is 13.8-14.7 across the battery and charge rate (amperage) increases when load is applied, the charging system is OK.

Last edited:

mcostello

Threads
Thank You, it will have to wait for the next sorta warm day. I will get back when testing is done.