Kohler Pro 24 HP V-Twin, transmission problem

m610

Threads
I recently acquired a Craftsman 50" Kohler Pro 24 V-Twin, and I am having a little trouble with it. The rear wheels will not turn. With the pin in the rear in the in or out position, no difference. Any ideas? Is this sort of thing repairable by a reasonably skilled owner?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes,Post your complete model number from under seat beginning with 917 then check out drive belt from engine to transaxle. Rod should be pushed in for mowing & pulled out for transporting with engine off by hand. If drive belt is off or broken you will need to remove deck.

also use jack stands after jacking up & removing rear wheels making sure 1/4 x 2.5 keys are in axle shafts. before reinstalling rear wheels apply anti-seize compound to axle shafts, auto parts sell small packets of anti-seize at counter, 1 packet for each side. be sure to wear gloves & safety glasses.2

Last edited:

m610

Threads
Thanks.

Model: 917.273223
Serial: 030300A001592

I ran out of daylight today. I'll remove the mower deck tomorrow and get a better look underneath.

Mike

m610

Threads
Weather and work gave me a chance to get back on this project.

I removed the mower, jacked it up in the rear, and disconnected the drive belt.

The rear wheels turn in opposite directions. I put a wrench on the drive pulley in the rear and the pulley turns.

It seems the tab that selects either drive (engaged) or transport (disengaged) should have a return spring on it. It does not move very far and it tends to hang down.

Suggestions?
Mike

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sometimes to get it all the way engaged you push/pull the mower back and forth and it will drop in gear.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the wheels up in the air & the transmission in Neutral try to turn the wheels by hand in the same direction.
IF they will only move in opposite directions then the brake is jambed on.
The brake locks the lay shaft which locks diff so the wheels can only turn in opposite directions so when applied you stop fast.
That is why the braking is so harsh on a lot of these mowers.
The brake is a tiny free floating disc usually behind the right wheel.
When you see it, do not touch the bolt in the enter fo the caliper, that is the adjustment.
ake a photo so, you can get the spring back on again then undo the bolts either side of the caliper .
Put a pan under it to catch the tiny brake pad & shim .
Clean up the splines and the pins inside the calipr.
DO not grease them.
Apply some dry lubricant then reassemble.

m610

Threads
In neutral, and they will not turn in the same direction.

There's no brake on the right.

On the left there is a bar that runs from the brake pedal to a lever on the diff. I can push that lever forward while trying the wheels. No difference.

Suggestions?

Mike

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The OP has a Hydro Gear 222-3010L transaxle.

m610

Threads
Correct.

Found this online: "Im A Small Engine Mechanic And Have Dealed With The Hydro-Gear 222-3010L Numerous Times. Every One Of Them The Brake Shaft Has Rolled The Spines On The Coupler Going From The Hydro Pump To The Brake Shaft To Turn The Transmission.. Sears List The Part As A 170.00 Dollar Part. But You Can Get The Part A Little Cheaper By Goin Through Hydro-Gear. Part# 62877. Although This Transmission Looks Complicated. It Really Isn't As Hard As You May Think. Of Course Tho I Work On These Things For A Living. So Yeah lol... Don't break it! A Quick Test Before You Break It Down..... Tap The Shaft With Your Brake Disc In With A Hammer While You Have It Trying To Go Forward On A Jack.. IF It Jumps To Go Forward... Thats Your Problem.. "

Does that sound right?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you.
Another one to cut & paste int the tranny problems section.