Kohler KT715 - Loses Power after warm

CntrlSwitch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine runs great and mows great after cold start, but then once it warms up(5 min in) it starts to die while mowing. Pushing the gas to choke helps it run a bit more, but eventually have to turn off the mowing blades to keep the engine going. Once the blades are disengaged it seems to run somewhat decent but as you can see in the below video the idle is not steady.

here is what I have replaced so far:
- Spark Plugs
- Oil change
- Carburetor
- Fuel Lines
- Fuel Filter
- Air filter
- Cleaned all grass debris from engine and mowing deck

Video of unsteady idle

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dirty carb.

slomo

CntrlSwitch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Even though Carb is brand new? That video is after putting the brand new carb in and mowing for a few minutes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If partially choking the engine alleviates the problem then you either have an air leak after the carb or the carb is not putting enough fuel into the engine .
New certified good carb or the cheapest carb you could find from an ebay/amazon scrap metal merchant ?

CntrlSwitch

Forum Newbie
Threads
That’s a fair question. Doubt it’s certified, but this is the one I bought:

Carb Link

fixit1ddh

Threads
It's starving for fuel, loosen fuel cap a bit and see if anything changes. Could also be a bad fuel pump.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Aftermarket Crinese carb alert.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean or rebuild the OEM carb. Stay away from fleabay and amazon aftermarket carbs. Parts too for that matter.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Its the same exact non branded chinese carb that you can find for 15 dollars, except it is actually 50 bucks.
Well yes & no
An assembly line making anything can make perfect ones or trash ones plus everything in between.
Some factories have quality control to check them as they come off the line, while other factories just assemble the supplied parts on piece work contracts .
The $ 50 ones have been tested & ( hopefully ) found to be good
The $ 15 either have not been tested or are the ones the testers reject as being faulty .
According to one of my Chinese suppliers, they test everything
All of the bad ones get resold to another factory that pulls them apart, find whatever is wrong then fix them by swapping out parts and they go into the secondary stream.
What they can not fix gets on sold as scrap to another factory that will do actual repairs, like drill out jets that have no hole in them or fit the correct float , move the float valve seat etc etc etc
What they can't fix gets on sold as scrap
However none of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th stream "factories" have any testing gear so it is all judged by eye.
Some where along the line, surplus vendors buy these for peanuts then work out they are worth $ X in the USA so they export them or sell them on the USA on line market because they can do it annonomously and without any warranty .

I have a small workshop & do around 300 jobs a year
About 10 to 15 times each year I get a unit with a faulty brand new carb bought on line from Evilbay or Ammozone .
Because the home owners are not trained techs, they then wrongly assumed that the new carb would be good to go out the box .
Thus when the new carb did not fix the problem they had gone an a spending frenzie replacing perfectly good parts to try and fix the faulty carb ( which had to be good cause it was new) till reluctantly it comes in to my workshop and a quick test diagnoses a faulty carb .

Now some of the $ 15 are good & some will be bad it just depends upon how lucky you feel or how myserably cheap you are .
We had a stack of Nikkies turn up down here with the wrong floats and they look really good, till I pressure tested the cut off and they failed
When tipped upside down the float cut off 10 psi of air but when right side up and full of fuel, the float did not cut the fuel off properly as it fouls on the main jet tube.
When sitting, these carbs leaked fuel into the engines so at best required two oil changes & a new oil filter + a tank or part there of of fuel
At worst it was a new head gasket & in one case a gasket + starter motor.

Another batch had a idle port welch plug leaking or totally missing .
One of these hapless owners had actually pulled the engine apart to fix the governor because he had been through everything else and the carb was brand new so it had to be a faulty governor causing the surging.

And the $ 50 carbs I resell from my wholesalers are all branded most are Ruzings. some are Longens some are CTS
I am yet to see a $ 10 carb with a brand name cast into the body .