Kohler K181 Spec 30467 intermittent spark

Rltkktlr

Threads
For a couple years now, I have had a problem where engine runs great for awhile, 15 min to an hour, then very rough. The engine by the way is on a leaf blower. When I brought it out this year, didn’t start on first pull, checked spark, non. Couple of you helped me out on how to ohm a coil and condenser. Turned out it was coil, but didn’t think condenser ohms were correct either but anyway had spark. Started right up but after 15 min same old story. This time I got smart and put a inline spark tester and showing intermittent park while running rough. I have a condenser ordered, what do you guys think will condenser fix it or am I way off course? Thanks. And love the forum.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can't measure condition of a condenser measuring resistance. What you can do is is to set the meter on the lowest volt scale and then connect 12 volts across the condenser can and lead then remove from the battery and connect meter across the condenser can and lead. You should see a quick pulse of voltage then drop back to zero. If it does this it won't tell you the capacitance but will tell you it is working. To see if it is the condenser you can just remove it and see if the problem goes away. If it does then bad condenser.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the condenser has gone bad, most times you will see pitting on the points. I always recommend replacing them at the same time.

Rltkktlr

Threads
Thanks for the info. I might have forgot to mention this is a magneto system. I learned you cannot Run without a condenser in a mag system. Anyway I tried a new condenser, no luck, weak/intermittent spark while running. I had points and would have replaced those also but got lazy because would have had to remove the blower, it’s a leaf blower. Anyway, threw in the towel and bought the electronic conversion chip, $30, very simple to install, fixed problem, runs great. Hope all this helps someone else. PS. By ohming a magneto condenser are you not actually putting a small charge on it? Old and new all read a pretty high resistance, millions I believe, then would drop and go OL. Then I was able to read voltage, MV and that would drop down. To me that told me the condenser was working. I also measured cap was I think 420, what’s that Measurement? F? Farets maybe. Thanks.