Kohler initial oil change - filter, too?

TonyPrin

Threads
I have a Cub Cadet XT1 with a Kohler KT725 engine and I'm about to do its initial 5-hour oil change and I have a question. The manual seems to imply changing only the oil, not the filter. Is this correct?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well do you just wash your feet and put back on the dirty socks?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I believe Kohler has eliminated the 5 hour oil change on all engines equipped with an oil filter. The break in debris gets caught in the filter. Briggs has also did away with the initial oil change on their engines with oil filters.

Can't find the 5 hour change requirement in either the owners manual or the service manual for your engine.

JDeere101

Threads
I have a 2021 XT1 Kohler 22 Hp. 7000 series 46in. cut. My manual says change oil at 5 hrs. I would think they would know everyone changes the filter also. I know the Kohler filters are a little pricy but that first Oil change is very important.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not after only five hours of use. At five hours, you couldn't have filled that filter with manufacturing debris. Leave it on let it do a better job of filtering than a brand new filter would do.

TonyPrin

Threads
Thanks to all for the input. My inclination was to change the filter, as well. But, the manual maintenance schedule shows changing the oil and filter on separate lines. Under the 5 hour column the oil change line is checked but not the oil filter line which, to me, indicates that the filter change isn't required - thus, my question.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oil is the cheapest part you can put in an engine
The filter would come a close second.
While manufacturing has come leaps & bounds over the years an initial oil & filter change is a good idea
When I fit a new engine , it gets a full tank of fuel run through it, the oil & filter changed , valve lash checked + all the nuts & bolts
After that the customer gets it back & I can be confident it will run happily till the next scheduled service.
IT is not like the filters are $ 100 a pop.
If you can afford a ride on then you can afford a new filter, otherwise take in goats on agistment .