Kohler engine CV15T rectifier

avtuvy

Threads
I have a John Deere G15 mower with a Kohler CV15T engine. The DC voltage between leg B of the rectifier and ground is 38V, I thought it should be 12V DC, why is the voltage so high?
The PTO works fine

geelee

Threads
your mower has no battery, so your rectifier is changing ac directly to dc . so 38v is right. you dont have a regulator. your just powering the pto clutch

avtuvy

Threads
Thank you for the quick response. I want to add a starter to the mower, it seems like the engine is set for it and the "ignition" key has a starter position.
Is it possible to get a 12V DC from the rectifier and still keep the PTO working maybe by using a different rectifier?
What is the voltage required by the PTO?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
your mower has no battery, so your rectifier is changing ac directly to dc . so 38v is right. you dont have a regulator. your just powering the pto clutch
Are you nuts? 38 VDC will fry the PTO clutch in short order. IF you took the time to look-up the JD G15 you would have seen that the Kohler is using a rectifier/voltage regulator setup. The output DC voltage should be no more than 14.5 VDC.

PLEASE don't guess at things unless it is your own equipment.

To OP replace your voltage regulator.

Last edited:

avtuvy

Threads
What is the reason for the 38V at the B+ leg of the rectifier? the spec for the PTO says that it is a 12V PT and works correctly, my voltmeter also works correctly

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the reason for the 38V at the B+ leg of the rectifier? the spec for the PTO says that it is a 12V PT and works correctly, my voltmeter also works correctly
Sounds like the rectifier to me. Those change the spinning rotor/armature from AC to DC voltage. Voltage regulators keep that said voltage at a constant level (battery voltage). Sounds to me like battery voltage level is needed per StarTech.

I don't know exactly what the OP has for a charging/power generation setup. Just stating the obvious about those parts.

Listen to StarTech word for word. (y)

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Going by the IPL the OP has either a Kohler CV15T-41631 or CV15T-41633 but there is a third CV15T but its spec isn't listed.

geelee

Threads
I see none of you have worked on rectifier only systems that have no battery, that directly power ptos. 38v at no load, when pto is on it will drop to the proper range

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So you think those 15/20 amp stators is going to drop that much voltage. I have look-up both of the specs I listed from the IPL and they both uses the same stator. They also are using a halfwave rectifier setup with a 15 amp voltage regulator.

avtuvy

Threads
I see none of you have worked on rectifier only systems that have no battery, that directly power ptos. 38v at no load, when pto is on it will drop to the proper range
That engine is also used for the CV15S variation which has an electric starter and charges a 12V battery, the schematic for that engine shows a connection between leg B+ of the rectifier through the ignition switch to the battery for charging. Does it use a different stator or rectifier?