Kohler CV20 (1998) No Spark - part spliced between kill wire & ground (need ID)

DC1998

Threads
  • / Kohler CV20 (1998) No Spark - part spliced between kill wire & ground (need ID)
I have the following mower:

Dixie Chopper X2000-50 (bought NEW in June, 1998)
Serial No.: 2729402687
Vin: 89-17146
Kohler CV20-65541
Model: CV20S Spec: 65541
Family #: SKH624U1G2RB Disp: 624 cc

The problem I'm having is that I have no spark at neither spark plug when engine cranks. (Multimeter showns that kill line is grounded.) Coils tested fine and even replaced the coils with new coils.

The part I can't identify is an electrical part: black cylinder that is held to a long bolt on the starter by way of a hose clamp as seen in photo (black cylinder is about 1" long by 3/8" in diameter) and has 2 black wires coming from it.
One black wire is spliced into the white wire (kill wire) on the Kohler engine harness (by the Blue splice connector shown within yellow circle) and the other black wire has a simple ground connection for a bolt to connect it to the engine.
I think this part has failed (0 ohms) and is what is grounding my kill circuit causing a NO SPARK condition, because it connects the kill wire to the engine ground.
If I disconnect the wire lead form this part to the ground, I have 75 ohms between ground and the kill wire, but when the wire is connected to ground, it is 0 ohms.
Currently, it shows 0 ohms when tested with multimeter and is grounding my kill wire (white wire) and stopping the spark from occurring even without the ignition switch connected to the harness.

Should I have more than 75 ohms between ground and the kill wire? (Is there another part likely adding to my lack of spark.)

Any help in identifying this part (shown in yellow circle on the photo) or helping with the lack of spark would be greatly appreciated.
Is this unknown part a large diode?
Does anyone have a part number?

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• 20210528_143550 - Part is clamped to starter moter but is spliced to white kill wire and ground_.jpg
    20210528_143550 - Part is clamped to starter moter but is spliced to white kill wire and ground_.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 38

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Kohler CV20 (1998) No Spark - part spliced between kill wire & ground (need ID)
It is a mercury tilt switch part number 40229-Z. It is supposed to shut off the engine in case of rollover. If working correctly there is mercury inside that if turned with the wired facing down makes contact with probes inside to complete the circuit. Should be no continuity between wires if the wires are facing up.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IL slight change to the Dixie Chopper part number as when I looked it up the "-Z" comes up but without it the 40229 does. But tnx for the part number as I add it to my database here.

Also there one other switch according to spec number involved and that is the oil pressure switch but they normal read zero resistance until cranking oil pressure trips it.

DC1998

Threads
StarTech,
My manual states that an "Oil Sentry" Switch was optional for my mower. The only diagram of it (if present) shows it a few inches above the oil filter and has 1 connecting tab My Owner's manual states that if present, it would shut down engine or trigger a warning signal, depending on application of engine. However, the service manual for the Kohler CV20 states that this "oil sentry" only shuts down engines that are designed to be stationary (NOT mowers apparently) and that on mowers it can only be used to activate a "low oil" light. I don't have any lights or horns on my mower.

Is this information in my manuals about a possible "Oil Sentry" switch and how it operates Accurate?

I always make sure my oil level is right at full before I try starting the engine.

I will check again to see if such a switch is present.

Thank You All for the info on the tilt switch.
Mark

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes tit is optional but worth mentioning just in case.

I kinda wish Hustler had wired the pressure switch here to shut down the Honda engine instead a warning light.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
IL slight change to the Dixie Chopper part number as when I looked it up the "-Z" comes up but without it the 40229 does. But tnx for the part number as I add it to my database here.

Also there one other switch according to spec number involved and that is the oil pressure switch but they normal read zero resistance until cranking oil pressure trips it.
The parts manual in the back of the owners manual shows it with a -Z, but you know as well as me how companies like to change part numbers on a daily basis.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
StarTech,
My manual states that an "Oil Sentry" Switch was optional for my mower. The only diagram of it (if present) shows it a few inches above the oil filter and has 1 connecting tab My Owner's manual states that if present, it would shut down engine or trigger a warning signal, depending on application of engine. However, the service manual for the Kohler CV20 states that this "oil sentry" only shuts down engines that are designed to be stationary (NOT mowers apparently) and that on mowers it can only be used to activate a "low oil" light. I don't have any lights or horns on my mower.

Is this information in my manuals about a possible "Oil Sentry" switch and how it operates Accurate?

I always make sure my oil level is right at full before I try starting the engine.

I will check again to see if such a switch is present.

Thank You All for the info on the tilt switch.
Mark
If I remember correctly from the wiring schematic, even if the engine has the oil pressure switch the wiring harness for the mower doesn't have the pin in the connector for it. The Kohler harness uses 5 wires but the mower connector to that only has 4.

DC1998

Threads
ILENGINE,

Thanks for such specific info on the mercury switch. When I reinstalled the cylinder after replacing the starter, I still had the cylinder vertical but I had the switch with the wires coming out of the bottom. So, the switch works when installed as you stated. It was my mistake.
I sure wish the wiring diagrams showed where the safety switches were located so I knew what they were and where they were located.

The additional issue I had, due to my dealer or Dixie Chopper was that when I bought the mower, I was told that my Kohler CV20 was just like the CV22 (NOT like the MV20). On page 16 of my Dixie Chopper manual, the simple wiring diagram for the CV 22 looks like my CV20 in that the white wire connects to the M terminal or #1 terminal, but that diagram doesn't show the connection to the battery or to the engine or the starter. So, I'm having to guess.

I wish I had a definite wiring diagram that I could count on for this mower.

Thanks again,
Mark

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@DC1998 The CV18, CV20, and CV22 all used the same block. The difference between the CV18 and 20 was a throttle limiting screw on the carb that only allowed the throttle butterfly to open halfway. The difference between the 20 and 22 was the CV22 had spark advance ignition whereas the CV20 and CV18 are fixed timing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The parts manual in the back of the owners manual shows it with a -Z, but you know as well as me how companies like to change part numbers on a daily basis.
That why I like to look the IPL and parts on the OEM website when v\ever available. Some parts have multitude of supersedes at times. I was just correcting to current part number.
If I remember correctly from the wiring schematic, even if the engine has the oil pressure switch the wiring harness for the mower doesn't have the pin in the connector for it. The Kohler harness uses 5 wires but the mower connector to that only has 4.
Very possible. Equipment OEMs don't alway follow through with every option provided as here they added an option of the roll over switch.