Kohler CV13T - Charging System Output?

primerbulb120

Threads
This engine is on a Toro Proline 30159. It's the model with the electric clutch that runs directly off the charging system, no battery.

Does anyone know what the input voltage and output voltage for the regulator/rectifier should be? At full throttle, I'm getting about 48V AC in and 24-28V DC out. This is a brand new, genuine Kohler voltage regulator. Seems high to me, but I've never worked on one of these battery-less systems before.

Just trying to make sure the charging system is putting out the correct voltage so it won't fry the new $250 blade clutch I'm getting ready to install.

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AC voltage sounds correct to me, but DC output seems very high. Never work on a charging system without a battery. Most electric clutches I have worked on are rated at 14.5 MAX. I would temporarily install a battery in to system and see what the charging voltage is at the battery. If you still have that high of voltage at the battery, I would say you have a faulty regulator. Just my opinion. Here’s a manual. https://mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kohler...13-CV14-CV15-CV16-CV460-CV465-CV490-CV495.pdf

primerbulb120

Threads
AC voltage sounds correct to me, but DC output seems very high. Never work on a charging system without a battery. Most electric clutches I have worked on are rated at 14.5 MAX. I would temporarily install a battery in to system and see what the charging voltage is at the battery. If you still have that high of voltage at the battery, I would say you have a faulty regulator. Just my opinion. Here’s a manual. https://mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kohler-...V490-CV495.pdf

Thanks! Since there's no place to attach a battery from the factory, should I just wire positive to the B+ terminal on the regulator and negative to ground?

Hard to believe a brand new regulator is bad, but stranger things have happened...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you do anything find the brand name & numbers on the clutch.
Next search the manufacturers web site for the clutch specifications.
If the engine is batteryless Toro could have fitted a 24V clutch to reduce the amps needed to run it.
Regulators & rectifiers are happy playing with high voltage but not passing a lot of Amps.
Amps = heat and heat is to be avoided in circuits as much as possible

primerbulb120

Threads
Toro's wiring diagram seems to indicate the system is 12v:

cv13t.JPG

I also looked up the Ogura part number, and it's 12 volts. The regulator is new, and it is the correct part number for this model.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is a new engine, I suggest you have the charging system tested by an authorized Kohler dealer. If the system is not operating properly, it should be repaired under warranty.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suspect a load is needed to get the voltage down to the rating on the clutch. Try an old headlight on the clutch terminals and check the voltage with this load, probably drop it to near the clutch coil rating without risking the actual part.

primerbulb120

Threads
This evening, I attached my ATV's headlights to the blade clutch terminals. They came on briefly, and then blew the fuse (7.5 amps.) Looks like I will have to find a smaller load. According to Toro's wiring diagram, the clutch itself draws 2.98 amps.

Would I get a correct reading if I just hooked a 12V battery up to the blade clutch terminals? I don't have any old mower headlights just laying around, and all the other 12V loads I have would be too big.

EDIT: I do have a large computer fan that draws just under 1 amp. Think that would be big enough?

primerbulb120

Threads
UPDATE: I wired the computer fan to the system this afternoon. It briefly brought the voltage down to 13-14 volts at 1/4 throttle, burned out the fan motor before I could test it at full throttle.

Then I connected it to a slightly discharged riding mower battery. Voltage stayed at around 20 volts, and after a few seconds it blew the 7.5 amp fuse.

I took the old blade clutch off, and it is indeed a 12 volt clutch.

What's next? Do I need to run another test, replace the stator, replace the voltage regulator, or...???

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds very much like your regulator is duff to me