Kohler cv 493 s Loses power when hot.

melvinhatcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Kohler cv 493s loses power when hot. I have replaced the carburetor and spark plug. Now it starts, idle run at full throttle and have full power for about ten minutes, then starts to run bad, popping out the tail pipe and loses power and will not cut grass or barely move the mower.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You either have an ignition coil going bad or more likely a restriction in the fuel system. Pull the tank fuel pickup and check for grass or gunk plugging it.

melvinhatcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, I ordered a new ignition module, should get it by 5/30.

melvinhatcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
So far without results. Replaced carburetor, replaced ignition coil, replaced sparkplug. It has now gotten gradually worse, engine does not fully rev up and is regularly shooting blue flames out of the tailpipe. I am now thinking the possibilities of a burnt or leaky exhaust valve or flywheel key has slipped. Any ideas I am willing to listen.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like either a fuel restriction or valve problem since you eliminated the ignition coil. Have you loosened the fuel cap when it starts to run poorly? Have you checked for clogged pickup tube in tank?

melvinhatcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like either a fuel restriction or valve problem since you eliminated the ignition coil. Have you loosened the fuel cap when it starts to run poorly? Have you checked for clogged pickup tube in tank?
New fuel filter and have loosen and even removed fuel cap, same problem. My next step is to do a leak down text, this will let me know if I have a leaking exhaust valve. I have a video of the engine running and shooting blue flames out of the muffler but, I cannot seem to upload it to this forum.
Is it possible to upload short videos to this forum?

Last edited: