Kohler CouragePro 25 quit; won't turn over

geoweaser

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a used Airens Max Zoom 60 ZTR with a relatively new Kohler CouragePro 25, had it repaired including a carburetor rebuild, and have run it for probably 10-15 hours. It just quit after about 15 min. of running. I tried to restart several times up to a four hours after it quit with the same result: no engine turnover, no clicks, nothing. It quit a couple of times before; the first time it started back up after a couple hour rest, the second time, it started up after a few minute rest. Help!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Turn over means rotate in your terminology ?
I am thinking a bad charging system running down the battery till there is no power left
or a bad ground or power supply
So start by attempting a jump from your car / truck
If that works then charge up the battery and get back to us for a pile of other tests
Always worth checking the fuse , look at cheap easy things first .

geoweaser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. Yes, by "turn over" I mean it won't start; nothing moves and not even a sound is made. I checked the battery, which was fully charged, and a couple of fuses I could identify, which were also good.

A bad ground or a problem with the power supply are possibilities. there a good way to test that?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Using a test light or voltmeter.

BTW I taught my mower to turn over (actually roll over) yesterday. Bad news I was still on it at the time. Ouch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No sounds what so ever points at a blown main fuse
The main fuse will be found on the wire that goes from the battery + post either at the battery or the starter solenoid .
It will be plain red not the blue or purple one that will be the trigger wire for the solenoid .
the 30 second check for the starter & battery is to jump from the starter + power post to the battery +
If the ground is good and the battery is good the engine will crank ( turn ) .
You will also get a really big welder type spark ( which is why the solenoid is there )
If nothing happens then run another jumper from the engine near the starter & the battery -
If the engine does not turn over strongly then the starter or battery are toast & you eliminate the battery by repeating using a known good battery , ie your car.
If it cranks with the ground strap but not without it = bad ground connection or strap

Electrically there are two things that stop a running engine
1) grounding the magneto
2) no power to the carb solenoid ( some can energise via the alternator, some can not depends how they are wired )

And of course there are a dozen things that can cause either or both of these to happen