Kohler Courage SV725 Fire shooting out

indigofrog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an Ariens Zero Turn mower with a Kohler Courage SV725 engine on it. It has just developed an issue where a small puff of blue smoke, a rattle, and a bit of flame is escaping from either the exhaust manifold or somewhere very close. My best guess is I've got a bad exhaust manifold gasket or a hole in the exhaust, but I can't pinpoint it precisely. Anything other that those two things that could cause this? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Here's a short video of it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KmVSX7cOZ1o?feature=share

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is that FILTHY cylinder firing all the time? Or just when we see that flame shoot out? Determine if you have solid spark there for one.

Is this some mud bogging kids toy? Man those cooling fins are plugged up. I would clean that block and fins like a new engine if it was mine. These are air cooled engines if you didn't know that.

indigofrog

Forum Newbie
Threads
It could have been a mud bogger for all I know. It's a hand-me-down from my father-in-law. He bought a new one in March and told me I could have this one if I could get it running. It had a host of issues: bad starter, water in the gas, melted battery cable, key broken off in the ignition, valve covers leaking, wiring harness chewed through in two places, etc. So no, it wasn't well cared for. I got it running about two weeks ago, mowed once, then this issue. I reckon I should have cleaned it on day one and I'll keep that in mind. It is getting constant spark, starts easy and sounds fine (to my ears) between these fire emissions.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That mud will insulate the cylinder causing over-heats and possible valve train damage. Clean it like me before proceeding further.

Strange how random the flame shoots out. Try as you said new exhaust gaskets.

Also plug up the muffler opening to for all the ex flow out that crack or bacd gasket area. Will let you see more action.

Could also remove the muffler. Seal it all up minus a pressure line hose. Fill with 20psi or so shop air and shoot soapy water at it.

Take an EVAP leak finder smoke machine and smoke her out as well.

1685139379535.png