Kohler Courage Help?

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Hi. Its been awhile. So I made a mistake. I had a good running Courage with a cracked block so I bought a good block on ebay and when I got the old one torn down I realized that tge provision for the counterbalancer stabilzer wasnt in the new block. What are my options? Look for the right block or buy the crankshaft from the seller I got the block from? What stabilizes it? Is there more to it? Am I missing something? See attached pics. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210619-203242_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-203242_Gallery.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210619-203343_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-203343_Gallery.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210619-203501_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-203501_Gallery.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 3

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not sure if there was 2 or 3 variations in the counter balance systems
Nothing you can do with that block other than getting the crank & counterbalance that fits it
OR get your old block welded
Lots of people get away with nothing more than some aluminium putty or resi-weld .
If the crack is cleaned up really well, goos & goops seem to work
OTOH a weld will work better
Once it is patched a drop of blue locktite will fix the problem of vibrations loosening the top cover which is why the block cracked in the first place.
I have done some "temporary" fixes with Davcon over 5 years ago & the customer does not want to pay for the welding .
The Davcon is now weeping a little but the mower is working fine & customer is happy

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Not sure if there was 2 or 3 variations in the counter balance systems
Nothing you can do with that block other than getting the crank & counterbalance that fits it
OR get your old block welded
Lots of people get away with nothing more than some aluminium putty or resi-weld .
If the crack is cleaned up really well, goos & goops seem to work
OTOH a weld will work better
Once it is patched a drop of blue locktite will fix the problem of vibrations loosening the top cover which is why the block cracked in the first place.
I have done some "temporary" fixes with Davcon over 5 years ago & the customer does not want to pay for the welding .
The Davcon is now weeping a little but the mower is working fine & customer is happy
Thanks for the response. Im selling the mower Im putting this engine in so I want to do it right. What's different about the crankshaft? How does stabilize? Ill look for a crank on ebay but want to make sure I get everything I need and dont run into any other problems.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT uses a different top plate with a track for the counter weight guide
In your circumstances I would take the case & top cover to a welder
It can be TIGed from the outside if you clean the case really well & the top plate needs to be there to clamp it nice & tight to prevent warping
Gas welding is better but not many weld Al with gas any more

Last edited:

JonnyBlaze

Threads
IT uses a different top plate with a track for the counter weight guide
In your circumstances I would take the case & top cover to a welder
IT caqn be tiged from the outside if you clean the case really well & the top plate needs to be there to clamp it nice & tight to prevent warming
Gas welding is better but not many weld Al with gas any more
I figured as much. Thank you!