Kohler Courage 25 HP

Hcube

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Forum, I have the above engine on a zrt mower. This is one of the hard to start engines when hot. I was wanting a little of your knowledge, as to which valve is the one opening to relief some of the compression when starting.

The model engine is PS 730-0033. I have the valves set/adjusted at .004 thousands. I have installed
a 350 ah battery, still will not spin over compression when its hot. Thought I would check the cam unit
to see if its working.

Thanks for your help,
Hcube

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Neither the vertical or horizontal version of the 0033 spec uses an ACR on the camshaft. It sounds more likely a starter, starter solenoid, or voltage drop problem.

You have either CH730 or a CV730 with a 0033 spec number.

Also these engines uses a hydraulic lifter system so the valves are not adjustable. Attempting to adjust them will cause problem in itself.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Neither the vertical or horizontal version of the 0033 spec uses an ACR on the camshaft. It sounds more likely a starter, starter solenoid, or voltage drop problem.

You have either CH730 or a CV730 with a 0033 spec number.

Also these engines uses a hydraulic lifter system so the valves are not adjustable. Attempting to adjust them will cause problem in itself.@
@StarTech There is a SV730-0033 which doesn't show up in the drop down list on the new Kohler parts site if you input the spec number by itself Works with the entire SV730-0033. Will show on the kohlerplus site by spec number only. That engine would have compression release on the cam.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Oh great yet another problem with the new site. I have already discover lack of diagrams on several engines. Boy I hope they straigthen things out before they shut down Kolher Plus in December as the site is nearly useless if we can't the correct info from it. But what do we expect from the Italians.

I went to Kohler Plus (PSW) as suggested and IL is right there is a SV version.

Hmmm the SV does have adjustable valves. Now I feel like an idiot for not finding it.

But I don't see an ACR on the 32 010 05-S either. Unless it bump or ramp grind version.

1630933131094.png1630933186129.png1630933644118.png

Attachments

• 1630933225830.png
    1630933225830.png
    394.7 KB · Views: 2

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now the SV730 does use a non solenoid shift starter that is prone wearing out the top bushing and prone to binding under load.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also IL have have sent a request to see if Partners can address this problem along the lack of IPL images on some engines.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@StarTech I have sent a request over the missing SV730-0033 in the dropdown parts list, but haven't seen any of the missing diagrams as of yet, but kohlerplus also has issues with lacking of diagrams, so they may be the same engines in both databases.

I don't see a ACR either but the SM list a faulty ACR as a issue with hard starting.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I know about the service manual statement but theACR is not there regardless. It is confusing as heck; unless, you have been in the engine before. I think it is a problem of copy and paste by non engineer personnel. This why I prefer actual part images whenever I can find them to verify if present or not.

As for the missing diagrams an example is the CV12.5-1215.

This is the Partners screen
1630938005655.png
and this is the Kohler Plus of the same engine.
1630938119351.png

I even tried downloading the IPL from Partners and got the same thing.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put the starter off the cv25 on it. IT will work just have to wire it in not a hard job. Have done it on several engines and gotten rid of the headache of the non shift solenoid.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know about the service manual statement but theACR is not there regardless. It is confusing as heck; unless, you have been in the engine before. I think it is a problem of copy and paste by non engineer personnel. This why I prefer actual part images whenever I can find them to verify if present or not.

As for the missing diagrams an example is the CV12.5-1215.

This is the Partners screen
View attachment 58227
and this is the Kohler Plus of the same engine.
View attachment 58228

I even tried downloading the IPL from Partners and got the same thing.
Here is the reply I got from partners referring the missing diagrams

HI,
There are several older specs, this being one, that were prior to our internal system and used graphics and lists from parts manuals therefore we did not have access to the images.

The system is working correctly as intended.

We will be posting the parts manuals that these older specs used.

If an older spec is in our internal system we will be adding group images.

Thank you for your feedback.

and the reply over the missing SV730-0033

Hi,

When searching for a spec number without using the full spec name the system has limitations as it auto populates options to pick from – we are aware of this issue and are looking for a resolution. Searching by serial number and full spec number will give the best results.

We hope to have this issue resolved before the end of the year when Kohler PLUS is turned off.

Thank You and Best Regards.

Partners Support