Kohler Courage 20hp idling/revving issue

Dalverian

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a troy bilt horse xp with a kohler courage engine in it and a hydrostatic transmission. The other day I was mowing and suddenly there was a loud high pitched buzzing noise (imagine metallic card in bicycle spokes), then a loud pop and the engine revved extremely high, so I shut it off. Now it will run, but always revs high and throttle will not control how high it idles, but all linkages are intact (that i can see). Engaging the blades puts enough strain on the engine to pull the rpms down enough to make me comfortable mowing with it, but disengaging the blades makes it sound like it is winding up and getting ready to explode. Any ideas what is going on here?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The governor inside the engine has left the room
Don't keep playing with it as the broken bits inside the engine can do even more damage
If it is a bicket engine then drop the belts then pull the top closure plate off & replace the governor.
If it has a normal sump you have to pull the engine out .

Dalverian

Forum Newbie
Threads
The governor inside the engine has left the room
Don't keep playing with it as the broken bits inside the engine can do even more damage
If it is a bicket engine then drop the belts then pull the top closure plate off & replace the governor.
If it has a normal sump you have to pull the engine out .

Yikes. Thanks. Certainly not what I wanted to hear, but kinda what I thought.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Piece of cake on a single cylinder bucket engine. about 3 hours start to finish
Only hard bit is getting the flywheel off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because we all do things differently, I like to slip both belts off the engine to prevent them pulling on the crank shaft, I leave the alternator in place on the top cover and hang it out of the way with some wire off the steering wheel
Before pulling the top cover off I give the key slot a quick rub with some 100 grit to remove any burs then lube the top seal to avoid damaging it .
Otherwise just like the video shows
Around 3 hours using hand tools apart from an impact for the flywheel bolt ,