Kohler Command Pro CV730 will not run unless fully choked

smokinggun

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler Command Pro CV730 will not run unless fully choked
I have a 2005 Dixie Chopper with 550 hours that had been run pretty hard but has served me well. It died on me last fall and since then I have replaced: both coil packs, spark plugs, head gaskets, intake gaskets, carburetor (oem factory), fuel filter, all fuel lines, fuel pump, and both breather filters. It starts up and runs now and seems to be strong but only runs when fully choked. As soon as I try to push in the choke just the tiniest little bit the engine dies. Compression on both sides is 150psi. I have not done a leak down test yet but if it fails that I think I would rather replace the engine than go any further with this one. What could it be? Thank you in advance for any advice that you offer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Factory parts or on line cheapies ?
Random changing parts creates more problems that it solves as now for instance you might have the wrong magnetos, or thay could be upside down etc etc etc

smokinggun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Factory parts or on line cheapies ?
Random changing parts creates more problems that it solves as now for instance you might have the wrong magnetos, or thay could be upside down etc etc etc
All factory parts, installed same way they came off. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK,
So we go back to square number 1
Dies how ?
like you shut it off, like it was running out of fuel , like it was overloaded ?
Blows smoke ? what colour ? Backfires ? no backfire ?
Do you still have all of the old parts ?
If so slip the old carb back on after cleaning it as per the instructions at outdoorpowerinfo.com .
When it starts how fast is the engine running ?
What happens if you push the governor arm to open the throttle fully ?
Did you replace the gaskets in the right places ?

smokinggun

Forum Newbie
Threads
As soon as I start to push in the choke it stops running. It stops pretty quick, not like running out of fuel, more like turned off key. No backfire, maybe some smoke but not much and I’m not sure if that’s when starting or stopping running. No backfire. I still have all old parts. I have three carbs total and have cleaned the two old ones and tried them, the new one was installed just a couple days ago. Engine runs fairly fast but not exactly like it should when normal. I need to try pushing the governor arm to find out what happens, will do that today. Yes, all gaskets have been replaced correctly. Thank you for your help! I’ve been wondering if it’s the governor or possibly choke linkage. I checked the choke about a week ago and it appears to be working exactly as designed but I need to reconfirm that. Thanks again for your help!

randyjoe

Threads
I have a 2005 Dixie Chopper with 550 hours that had been run pretty hard but has served me well. It died on me last fall and since then I have replaced: both coil packs, spark plugs, head gaskets, intake gaskets, carburetor (oem factory), fuel filter, all fuel lines, fuel pump, and both breather filters. It starts up and runs now and seems to be strong but only runs when fully choked. As soon as I try to push in the choke just the tiniest little bit the engine dies. Compression on both sides is 150psi. I have not done a leak down test yet but if it fails that I think I would rather replace the engine than go any further with this one. What could it be? Thank you in advance for any advice that you offer.
Some where your sucking in too much air, check your gaskets between the block and the carb and also make sure the gaskets are installed correctly, while your at it take a look at your air vain make sure it’s working properly

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Working on the old addage that 90% of carb problems are in the ignition & 90 % of ignition problems are in the carb,
Remove the kill wires from the coil .
If that makes no difference replace the carb solenoid with a short bolt .
Test for air leaks by saturating the manifold with WD 40 from a trigger pack and look for lots of white smoke from the exhaust.
Flick the governor a few times while you are doing it to get some strong manifold vacuum

smokinggun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help! It sure makes me feel better that it might not be real serious (fingers crossed). I didn’t get a chance to work on it this weekend, hopefully will be able to look at some of these suggestions while working on the mower one evening this week. Meanwhile,I don’t like drought but at least the grass isn’t growing real fast right now.

smokinggun

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to pin down the issue and get it running! The mower isn’t completely fixed yet but at least now I know what it is and can take my time repairing the issue. I know all of the advice you guys gave me above was great based on what I was telling you guys and it’s very much appreciated. Something was telling me that it wasn’t getting enough fuel so I revisited the electric fuel solenoid that screws into the bottom of the carburetor bowl. For some reason it’s not working correctly now. At one point recently it was working fine. As a test I removed the plunger from the solenoid and reinstalled the solenoid. Then it started and ran like new! So now I need to figure out why the solenoid is not getting current, or enough current, whichever it is. Thanks again for y’all’s time and wisdom, this place is a very valuable resource!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
150psi to me is loose rockers. Try adjusting the valves per OEM specs. Or you have a ton of carbon in the head area. With this old of a mower, I would pull the heads and clean them up. Decarbonizing is in your engine manual required every couple years.

Does this have a carb solenoid on the bottom of the fuel bowl?

Does it have a fuel pump and does it work?

Running with the choke to me is a fuel delivery issue slash dirty carb or wrong carb for the engine. Gas cap not venting.... Plugged fuel filter or hose.

slomo