Kohler Command CV15 runs fine until low idle

Threads
Hello folks. Kohler Command CV15S engine. Trying to get her ready for the season and I'm having problems.

It's hard to start but when it does it runs fine IF I keep it at cutting idle. But when I put it on low idle it will die after a minute or three and then won't crank anymore.

Carb issue? Something more serious? Changed the oil and put new oil filter on

And is this fuel line routed correctly?

Slowly but surely I'm.cleaning it up, forgive the grime

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello folks. Kohler Command CV15S engine. Trying to get her ready for the season and I'm having problems.

It's hard to start but when it does it runs fine IF I keep it at cutting idle. But when I put it on low idle it will die after a minute or three and then won't crank anymore.

Carb issue? Something more serious? Changed the oil and put new oil filter on

And is this fuel line routed correctly?

Slowly but surely I'm.cleaning it up, forgive the grime

Hard to start, as in it turns over and over and over until it starts? Or turns about 1/2, then slows to a crawl for a seconds then turns about another round and slows?

Threads
Hard to start, as in it turns over and over and over until it starts? Or turns about 1/2, then slows to a crawl for a seconds then turns about another round and slows?
Put new battery on due to my stupidity of leaving the key on. Turns over and over and then starts.

Would a low battery be the only reason it would turn and crawl? I've had that happen before but figured it was battery

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put new battery on due to my stupidity of leaving the key on. Turns over and over and then starts.

Would a low battery be the only reason it would turn and crawl? I've had that happen before but figured it was battery

Your battery is the reason it turns. So a low battery means it turns slow. Or a bad battery. One with a full charge, but no cranking amps will do the same as a low battery, IIRC.

Threads
All right I think I got it!

When I took the carb off the bowl was dry.

Loosened the pinch on the carb line and no gas came. Tried turning over engine and still nothing.

Removed gas line from fuel pump. Gas was coming at a good rate.

So, bad fuel pump?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Loosened the pinch on the carb line and no gas came. Tried turning over engine and still nothing.

So, bad fuel pump?
The fuel pump has a check valve in it.
THe outlet is the tube all by itself
The inlet is on the other side under the impulse line.
People regularly hook them up wrong and if backwards they will not work.

If you suck ( yummy ) on the outlet side fuel should flow through the pump without the engine running.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert that why I use a pressure/vacuum pump that any shop should have if they are going to work engines. I personally have lost my desire for ingesting gasoline a long time ago. Besides lighting up cigarette can problem especially if you are blowing out the match as you become a flame thrower.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

So, bad fuel pump?

If you have the pump hooked up right, and no gas come out the outlet side of the pump, when you turn the engine over, then yes, you have a bad fuel pump.
Note: If the gas line from the pump to the carb is still connected, and you're not getting fuel out the end of the hose, make sure the hose isn't collapsed or clogged.