Kohler command ch23 ignition

Jackson Ellis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Kohler command ch23 that i just rebuilt and slapped on my go kart. I went to start it but can't get the thing to spark for the life of me. I have an in line tester I've been using. The aftermarket coils I got were "https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073HMKH9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1". They have 2 leads coming off it that as I understood were just supposed to be for the kill switch. I thought that the magnet coming across induces the spark and if the 2 leads were grounded the spark would instead of going to the plug travel to the ground. I have gapped the modules to 0.008" and the flat side is the one facing out. I have tried just about every configuration of ground and positive I can on these modules but no spark. I have laminate grounded from the block, I cleaned that, I just can't seem to make it spark. I don't know if the modules are bad, they are brand new but things happen I guess. Please help me out, I can provide pictures if necessary.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those modules work in combination with a speed control module. SAM, system needs 12 volts to operate.

Jackson Ellis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Those modules work in combination with a speed control module. SAM, system needs 12 volts to operate.
Does this mean I need to get one of those modules or just supply 12v to the coil.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to put up your model-spec numbers off of your tag so we can see what your engine was set up for. To interchange those types of coils involve wiring changes, as well as a flywheel change.

Jackson Ellis

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need to put up your model-spec numbers off of your tag so we can see what your engine was set up for. To interchange those types of coils involve wiring changes, as well as a flywheel change.
I can't really do that, there are no shrouds what so ever on the engine so I have no way of finding the model or serial number. I got the engine out of a Club cart gold cart in the junkyard. I know its a CH23 because of the stamping on the connecting rod and the bore of the cylinder. Would a picture help any better?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So what were the original coils like? Did they have 1 small terminal, or two?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go download a manual from Kohler, and read the section on the ignitions.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does this mean I need to get one of those modules or just supply 12v to the coil.
The SAM should of been mounted to the engine. And the SAM that goes with those modules is no longer available. Required conversion to the new ignition system. We will really need to see what you are working with. Part numbers off of the old modules would help if you can't come up with the model and spec of the engine that you are working on.

Jackson Ellis

Forum Newbie
Threads
The SAM should of been mounted to the engine. And the SAM that goes with those modules is no longer available. Required conversion to the new ignition system. We will really need to see what you are working with. Part numbers off of the old modules would help if you can't come up with the model and spec of the engine that you are working on.
file:///C:/Users/Jackson/Pictures/2021-03-29%20(2).png
It wont let me upload any photos from my phone, it keeps saying file is too large. I tried making it a link I don't know if that will work. I ended up doing some more research and found that I probably should go for the mdi conversion modules as they should suit my wiring needs. I'm assuming the 1 lead coming off that is a switch to ground for a kill wire. "https://www.amazon.com/Kohler-25-70...2570703&qid=1617050454&rnid=2470954011&sr=8-2" I got these coming now and hopefully it should work.