Kohler Command 23Hp loses prime in one week

mwhitnell

Threads
My 1996 Lawn tractor with Kohler Command engine loses prime in the carburetor after sitting for one week. This has never occurred before now...I have to take the gas hose lose at the pump and add gas in the hose to fill the carb bowl...then it starts right away. I do not notice any leaks at the carb and the gas lines have been replace a couple of years ago. What I will do is give it a couple of days and pull the bowl to check if it is full. Any other ideas?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a check valve in the fuel pump that is leaking

mwhitnell

Threads
Ok, makes sense to me, I have searched around for pulse fuel pumps, you can buy them for $6, up to $25, so many bad reviews about all of them...where do you find a good pump that may last as long as this original one has? I am thinking about abandoning the vacuum pump and going with elect.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You get your Kohler model and spec number off of the silver tag on the blower housing, then go to your favorite online mower part store and type in your model and spec numbers, and get the PN for that pump.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, makes sense to me, I have searched around for pulse fuel pumps, you can buy them for $6, up to $25, so many bad reviews about all of them...where do you find a good pump that may last as long as this original one has? I am thinking about abandoning the vacuum pump and going with elect.
Stay away from electric pumps. Most charging coils lack proper amperage especially at low revs. Like Scrub said, get a proper OEM pump for it. No need to reinvent the wheel. Besides that electric job will fail on you long before the stock one will.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I do around 300 jobs a year about 50 to 100 would be ride ons.
Been in business for 8 years & only ever had 1 impulse pump fail.
Get a BRANDED one from a mower shop & you will not have a problem.
Get an unbranded one from Amazon or Ebay if you want to join all of whingers who are too cheap for their own good .

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I do around 300 jobs a year about 50 to 100 would be ride ons.
Been in business for 8 years & only ever had 1 impulse pump fail.
Get a BRANDED one from a mower shop & you will not have a problem.
Get an unbranded one from Amazon or Ebay if you want to join all of wingers who are too cheap for their own good .
yep, my kawasaki mule uses a pulse pump, Original lasted 20 years.