Kohler Command 22 HP surges and dies

jakesmurray

Threads
This engine will start right up cold, run for about two minutes, then surge a couple times and die. I completely cleaned the carb, replaced all the fuel lines, and put new gas in it. I'm thinking the needle valve may be sticking, causing the fuel pump not to pump. Could this be the case? Once it dies, it will not restart... Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Jake you know the drill. Model number of engine.

jakesmurray

Threads
Yep, should've known. :confused2:

CV22S

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Carb has auto choke and fuel shut off solenoid. Check both for working properly. Im betting the auto choke.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler 24-757-36-S Kit
Auto choke repair kit.

jakesmurray

Threads
Carb has auto choke and fuel shut off solenoid. Check both for working properly. Im betting the auto choke.

The solenoid was gunked shut, I cleaned it out and now it's working properly. Until I did that the engine wouldn't run at all. Now it runs for two minutes. The dashboard has a manual choke on it, would the carb still have an auto choke?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put 12 volts to the solenoid and see how long it stays open.

jakesmurray

Threads
Put 12 volts to the solenoid and see how long it stays open.

I've got to get a new battery for this thing then I'll test it. I do believe we have a fuel starvation problem here. Whether it's the fuel solenoid, needle sticking closed, or fuel pump. I think you may be onto something with the fuel solenoid...

jakesmurray

Threads
Boy do I feel like an idiot! First off, I appreciate the help guys. Turns out this was just a bonehead mistake by me. The other day I replaced all the fuel lines on this mower. Turns out, the one behind the air filter cover I had routed incorrectly, and it was getting pinched between the fuel solenoid and the air cover plate, hence restricting fuel flow. I have attached pictures of both the way I had it, and the correct way. It should go behind the fuel solenoid, not in front. Now this engine runs like a dream. :thumbsup:

So, it turns out it was the fuel solenoid causing the problem, just not in a way we all would have guessed! :laughing:

wrong.JPG

right.JPG