kohler command 18 overheating

J_Carr

Threads
I have a 94-99 cub cadet lt2158 48" cut. About 30 minutes into me cutting my lawn it shuts down and appears to be overheating. Oil levels are good. Spark plugs are gapped to .040. Air filter is clean. Fuel filter appears to be clean. I'm lost any ideas

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does the engine start back up right away or do you have to wait until it cools down to restart? If you must wait I suspect either an ignition or fuel problem. Next time it happens check to see if you have spark at the plugs. No spark means you probably have an ignition module or coil problem. If you have spark remove the gas cap, wait a minute, then try to start. If it starts, the vent in the cap is plugged causing a vacuum in the tank. Report back what you find. At this time I cannot post a manual link, but you can go to my mower parts com and get a service manual for you engine.

PS: spark plug gap should be .030".

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can post links just dont use the link button and take out the http : // www . like this
lawnmowerforum.com/kohler-engine-forum/35898-kohler-command-18-overheating.html#post226785
They can copy and paste like the old days.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oddly enough I had 3 mowerers with this exact problem and we thought it was overheating just like you do.
It turned out to be a plug of debris stuck in the outlet of the fuel tank which prevents the fuel flowing fast enough and eventually it just runs out of fuel.
We cleaned out the tanks and drilled the outlet which had a casting flash in it making things worse.

J_Carr

Threads
It does not start back up. I have to let it cool down before it starts. Would the mower run fine for 30-45 mins of cutting with a blockage. I will drain tank tomorow and see if there is a blockage in the fuel line

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The instant it stops. check for a spark.
If the coil is going bad because it gets too hot there will be no spark or a bad spark.

J_Carr

Threads
After I check gas tank I'm going to run it if it starts to cut off I will check it for spark

pauly50

Threads
Fuel pump is loosing fuel pressure and going below the minimum adaption limit when not and o2 sensor and ecu are trying to compensate, try replacing fuel pump and filter, had a machine do what you're is doing
Running .75 to 1.0 your then stopping won't start until had time to cool , cycle repeats

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fuel pump is loosing fuel pressure and going below the minimum adaption limit when not and o2 sensor and ecu are trying to compensate, try replacing fuel pump and filter, had a machine do what you're is doing
Running .75 to 1.0 your then stopping won't start until had time to cool , cycle repeats

the 18 command is a carb engine not fuel injection. could be either fuel/carb, carb solenoid, or spark related

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re overheating. You cannot trust your senses. Take a reading of the head fins away from the exhaust header. You could do this with a DVM which has a heat probe cable-easy..Or you could do it with a (?borrowed) infra red temp gun. Or buy a "tempil stick" heat crayon at a weld shop for 310F. IMO temps around 300F are normal around the spark plug . If you are running too hot and you have a dead or dying ignition module you must fix the source of overheating or will probably kill off the new module in short order (animal nests, debris, grass, bad fan). The electronic components inside cannot stand excessive temps.