Kohler ch680 closure plate oil leak

Shon82

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello and thanks for reading my post!
I have removed the engine from machine and reinstalled 3 times now because the closure plate has started leaking. It is a manufacturer issue caused by vibration from part of a steel frame attached to the closure plate. The rtv sealant is not getting it. I have had to remove this and redo it about every 800 hours. So my question is does anyone know of a high heat epoxy that would bond the aluminum backing plate PERMANENTLY? And wouldn't stand up to the heat of the engine itself? At this point it has 2400 hours and I could care less about future repair issues because of not being able to remove the rear plate again. I just want to beat this oil leak for good, don't care if it throws a rod tomorrow, its the principle, lol. Thanks in advance for any input or recommendations. Modifying the frame bracket is unfortunately not an option. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the sealant is blowing out then either the bolts are backing off.
The surfaces were bad to start with
The threads have pulled stopping the plate seating properly
the breather is not working allowing excessive pressure build up in the sump.
Got a lot of 2000 series Cubs in the run with hourmeters way over 3000 hours and none of them leak.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
about as heat resistant as you can get, https://www.permatex.com/products/g...s/permatex-high-temp-red-rtv-silicone-gasket/
650 degrees max.
Whenever i RTV something, i apply it, tight the bolts snug, just to where the RTV squishes a bit, let it sit for 24HRs then torque to specification.
Yes finger tight for 12-24 hrs works here too as the RTV has to have time to cure properly. It also doesn't hurt to use the surface prep/ accelerator recommended in the RTV instructions. One last tight do not fill the crankcase during this 12-24 with oil either as oil prevents the RTV from curing properly.

This is the method I learned to keep those pesty Kohler Courage Single rocker covers along with the Briggs ones from leaking.

Here is a link to product I mention. Sounds expensive but it goes a very long way. I am just on my second can in five years. Of course I spray it on cotton swabs to apply it. You be surprised how dirty the surface is that looks clean. It take several swabs to do the job as I change them as they get dirty.

Permatex 24163 Surface Prep