KOHLER CH-25 SPEC# 68543

bear369

Threads
the engine is back firing out of the muffler after it runs for a few minutes .. while cold runs fine.. cranks easy too.. one cylinders is fouling a plug.. I checked the compression on both cylinders the good one is at 180 the side fouling the plug was 175 I replaced both coils about a year ago .. any ideas would be apricated...

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could be a blown head gasket. Though I am not that familiar with the CH series of the Kohler engines I am with the CV and have lots of them with blown head gaskets. A blown head gasket will not show up in a compression test. It will not how up in a cylinder leak down test or a crank case vacuum test. The gaskets blows between the oil return hole and the cylinder and is so small it just will not show up in any of these test. The best indication of a blown head gasket is a fouling plug.

bear369

Threads
HLW .. thank you for your reply.. I am helping my dad with this problem.. he called earlier today.. told he me took the ohv cover off said he could move both rocker arms a little sideways.. the bolt holding both were tight .. took the other side off both rocker arm had no side movement on them.. anything to that? I do remember he changed that head gasket on the fouled side about 5 years ago.. when it went bad it maked a very loud sound .. you could actually see the plug firing between the cylinder and head...

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow have never seen one that bad. When they blow out side the cylinder you can hear then whistle at you while starting and shut down. Could have a very slight side to side movement in the rockers. But like I said more familiar with the CV since that is what comes on the mowers we sell and most of what we service.

bear369

Threads
Again thanks for replying.. I talked to him and he told me this.. this started when noticed excessive smoke in the exhaust... he checked the oil and found a lot of raw gas in the oil .. so he replaced the carburetor thinking it might fix it.. now no gas in the oil..but it still backfires??

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back fires When? While running or on shut down? When he had the rocker covers off did he happen to turn the engine over and watch to see if the valves were opening and closing as they should?

bear369

Threads
it backfires after it runs a few minutes .. then might run a minute.. then do it again.. it never backfires when you turn it off... no he did not check that..

bear369

Threads
49 we found a blown head gasket and the valve were leaking .. we ordered a new head assembly with valves and gaskets. do we need to lap the new head and valves???

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
49 we found a blown head gasket and the valve were leaking .. we ordered a new head assembly with valves and gaskets. do we need to lap the new head and valves???
NO. But I would pull the lifters and press the excess oil out so they close on startup and to prevent overextending and bending push rods.

bear369

Threads
thank you for your reply it also includes new push rods and rocker arms... we were thinking of replacing lifters to.. do think they could be damaged to? we were thinking about the age of them??