Kohler carburetor adjustments

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Kohler Command? Courage? Magnum?
Model and spec number should be on a silver tag.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably a K91.

Rick42wood

Threads
Tag is gone but it is a V-Twin 20Hp on a Toro timecutter. There is a screw that I'm sure is for idle speed, it's on the carb. Then there is one on the top near where the cable from the throttle lever attaches. I turned this one and it did make a difference but the engine still runs slow. There doesn't seem to be an adjustment for the linkage (looks like a clothes hanger wire) that runs between the bracket the throttle attaches to and the carb.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Then post the model and serial numbers for the Timecutter. We may be able to cross reference it.

Rick42wood

Threads
I found the numbers in my manual. Kohler Family 8KHXS5972GB
Model sv590s
Spec. No.. sv590-0212
I think there is something wrong with the governor. Motor seems to run steady at a lower speed than normal and doesn't change on a hill or in tall grass.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Not a V-twin..courage single sv590 just like on my cub,
I remember I asked Kohler out of curiosity for the max speed awhile back, it's 3400 or 3450 RPM...
Usually if something is wrong with the mechanical governor you have no throttle control or the engine runs Wide open fast as possible...
MY uneducated guess may be a weak or stretched(maybe cracked) governor spring.... We'll see what the experts say and we may both learn sumthin. Also is your choke opening all the way? you can see by removing the air filter cover and filter and you'll see the choke butterfly in the opening lower left corner.

Last edited: