Kohler Bendix Rx

Grass Barber

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, first post, big problem. I have a 2016 XT2 54" Fab Cub Cadet with a 7000 Series KT745 engine. Bought new Sept 2016. Replaced the not needed push start, blue tooth overly expensive push stater last spring. No other problems until recently when starting problems started. When pushing the start button, sometimes it would start to start, then die. Repushing the button all I'd get is the sound of an electrical sort of sound trying to engage from the engine. Letting it sit awhile it might start or I'd get the same result, but it would eventually start. About a week ago it failed to start at all. I called the retired service mechanic from the Cub dealership I bought the Cub from (they were also a car business that closed about a year after buying the Cub) and he gave me a few pointers to check. All failed.

Took the mower to his garage (as he still works on mowers some). He checked the flywheel and advised it was stuck. He removed the starter and the whole Bendix system on top of the starter came off. He checked the parts, reassembled and around 6 stops and starts worked fine. Took mower home and mowed for around 2 hours. Stopped and restarted mower several times, but after around two hours stopped for a bit and in attempt to restart nothing. Just the sound of something electrical trying to work. Checked flywheel, jammed tight. Took starter off. Plastic cap on top of Bendix gone, Top of Bendix jammed into retaining nut. Flat washer that is supposed to be under the nut gone as was the spring inside of Bendix. Starter motor hot, too hot to handle with bare hands. Found plastic cap inside of metal shroud around right side of engine. Took starter to same retired mechanic (he is a 28 year veteran of car and lawn mower repair) and he had no idea why Bendix would come apart like that.

The starter is a Kohler number 32 098 08 model which Cub show has been replaced with a 32 098 10S model number. I can get a new starter with no problem either locally or online. The mechanic advised that Bendix kits used to be available. Found that no Bendix kits for the 32 098 08 are available from Cub or Kohler anymore.

My question is-Is there something worn within the starter motor and/or Bendix that caused it not to function right and come apart OR would there be some other thing within the electrical or mechanical problem with the mower. I did read online by someone having problem with his Kohler powered mower that his starter solenoid was bad that caused his starter to malfunction. Have also read where a battery not producing enough charge can cause a malfunction. Would figure a bad battery would just cause poor or no starting, not cause and part failure like the Bendix coming apart. The flywheel and its teeth are excellent as far as condition. I will say that the battery is original, shows around 12.5+ amps sitting and 10.5-11 amps with a load tester. Would this starter be worth trying to rebuild if I COULD find a Bendix repair kit or would there be something within the starter or system that would just be a repeat. I'm good with buying a new starter if needed, but am wondering if the old one is worth repairing after five seasons or if I should be looking at other things within the mower for any possible same problems with a new starter. The retired Cub mechanic advised he'd never seen one do that before. Any input greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That starter had issues with the top bushing wearing causing binding, also issue with the shaft either bending or breaking off.

Grass Barber

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you--Is that why it was replaced with the 32 098 10S? Are you referring to the worm shaft in your post? Also, your referral to the 'top bushing', would this be a bushing right under the nut? A local automotive supply business that sells replacement lawn mower type starters had what they said was a replacement for the 32 098 08, but it had a smaller diameter worm shaft, had a longer motor body, and was a 10 tooth Bendix vs the 9 I had. Made in China also. I turned it down. Don't now if Kohler has there's made in China or not, but if so would be made to specs.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The worm shaft would bend and break off at the top of the starter housing. The bushing I refer to is the top sleeve bearing in the starter housing and it would egg out due to the side loading of the starter torque.

Grass Barber

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gonna get the revamped 10S version. Even if I could get a Bendix kit, don't think I'd trust the starter to drop $30 or so into the original and have it take another crash. Thanks ILENGINE for the info.