Kohler 6.75 issues on a Toro

JBtoro

Threads
Friend brought me a Toro w/ a 6.75 Kohler; bought it used. Starts on 1st pull & rpms are right at 3200. However, after about 30-40 seconds, the rpm's dip audibly by probably several hundred & black smoke (not thick black, but definitely visible) is emitted from the muffler. Then, after another 30 seconds it revs back up to where it should be & he is able mow his lawn. This is a new symptom for me; any ideas?

nbpt100

Threads
You got to go back to basics. That black smoke is from running too rich or oil. Make sure the oil is not overfilled. I would next clean the carb. Check the plug and see if it is the right one. Does it sound like it is missing? Kholer branded plugs work the best in my opinion in Kholer walk behind mower engines. If you can not get one then xref to a Champion, that would be my 2nd choice. Alot of times when you go to an auto parts store for a small engine plug they will x ref to what they have and that ends up being not a good choice. It may look the same, have the correct thread etc, but it still may not run well.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds lke the auto choke is slightly out of wack so it is staying on for too long .
Pull the air filter off and watch what the choke butterfly is doing when the engine speed drops & then increases
You should be able to tweak it by bending the linkages.

nbpt100

Threads
Sounds lke the auto choke is slightly out of wack so it is staying on for too long .
Pull the air filter off and watch what the choke butterfly is doing when the engine speed drops & then increases
You should be able to tweak it by bending the linkages.
Yes, it may be the auto choke. On the Kohler Courage XT series the links can get hung up and not move freely. Just a good cleaning will likely do it. loosen the two nuts on the muffler that secure the thermostate for the auto choke. tighten the horizontal nut first then the verticle nut. Then make sure the shaft can rotate freely with out hanging up. Make sure the spark plug wire is not rubbing on it. If you remove and clean the carb, make sure the butterfly is not sticky. After doing all of this you should be in good shape and can rule this out as a possible problem.
Let us know how you fixed it.