Just pops back through carb.
Compressions are at 170 and 175
Got fuel and spark on both coils
What would I check next?
TIA

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
cam.Take the rocker covers off turn the engine over by hand and watch the rocker arms and see if they are moving like they should.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wouldn't hurt to remove the valve covers and make sure all the push rods are in place, and you can also roll the engine over by hand to make sure everything is moving. Depending on model of Kohler engine could also need to check the valve clearances and make sure they are correct. The Command series has hydraulic lifters so not adjustment on those but the Courage engines and their look alike are adjustable.

Muldrick

Threads
Kohler V-Twin Courage
After I read the responses I thought for certain it would have a bent pushrod, but it doesn't.
I removed the rocker cover and spun the engine by hand, everything moved.
Removed all rockers and pushrods, none are bent.
Reassembled and adjusted the valve clearance to .005"
Tried to start, same problem, popping through the carb.
Could this be an electrical problem somehow?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes, check the key to see if sheered, plug wires crossed, or blocked exhaust.

Muldrick

Threads
Are you talking about the fly wheel woodruff key?
It would be virtually impossible to cross the spark plug wires, the exhaust is full of leaks and it ran when I parked it last.
Each coil used to have two white wires going to it, One wired to each coil. they were causing some issues a while back so I unplugged them permanently. I believe those wires are only for shutting off the engine, correct?
I believe they just ground the coil to shut the engine off. When I last had it running it just took longer to shut off because those wires were not connected, and I believe the fuel shut off valve was killing the engine at that time instead of the white wires going to the coils.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
squirt about 1/2 teaspoon of fresh gas into the carb and see what it does.