Kohler 27hp courage sv 740 - won't throttle down after carb replacement

kohler1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler 27hp courage sv 740 - won't throttle down after carb replacement
Hi All,
Have a kohler 27hp courage. I was having some miss firing so i went ahead and replaced a few key parts that were due for being all original 2007 parts.
Replaced the carb, replaced the ignition coils and spark plugs, and the starter. Nothing overly complex. However upon start up the motor is revving extremely high. Higher than I expected a normal high throttle would be and when I try to throttle down it doesn't go down at all.

In this video you can see I start it and I try to throttle it down and it doesn't change the motor output by audio. I'm a bit baffled.I quickly turned it off for fear of blowing up the engine.
I went ahead and did the "governor adjustment" procedure that I found here: https://itstillruns.com/set-governor-setting-kohler-engine-8039721.html
It seems to only turn maybe less than 1/8 of a turn so unclear if that's normal or not. Same output, no change.

Any ideas?

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Hi All,
Have a kohler 27hp courage. I was having some miss firing so i went ahead and replaced a few key parts that were due for being all original 2007 parts.
Replaced the carb, replaced the ignition coils and spark plugs, and the starter. Nothing overly complex. However upon start up the motor is revving extremely high. Higher than I expected a normal high throttle would be and when I try to throttle down it doesn't go down at all.

In this video you can see I start it and I try to throttle it down and it doesn't change the motor output by audio. I'm a bit baffled.I quickly turned it off for fear of blowing up the engine.
I went ahead and did the "governor adjustment" procedure that I found here: https://itstillruns.com/set-governor-setting-kohler-engine-8039721.html
It seems to only turn maybe less than 1/8 of a turn so unclear if that's normal or not. Same output, no change.

Any ideas?
1655246576745.png
When you did Step 6 did the governor lever move on the governor shaft? This instruction isn't correct. It's close but step 6 puts the governor out of adjustment. The adjustment is correct up until Step 6. You want move the governor lever loose on the shaft until the carb throttle plate is wide open. Then turn the governor shaft the same direction you moved the lever. On most Kohler engines it's counterclockwise. If you just remember to rotate the shaft the same direction you rotated the governor lever to open the throttle plate all the way you can adjust any governor or any engine. Then before letting everything go, tighten the nut on the pinch bolt of the governor lever. Now you can make any fine adjustments with the screw mentioned.

kohler1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Correct, i kept it in position for a throttle wide open the entire time. I watched a couple youtube videos to confirm this as that is a bit of a confusing step :)

VegetiveSteam

Threads
As long as you moved the lever so the throttle plate was wide open then turned the governor shaft the same direction as far as it would go and kept it in that position while snugging that nut then the adjustment should be correct. If the engine was run with the governor out of adjustment you may need to replace the governor gear as it has possible come off. If you can manually grab the governor lever to slow the engine down and if you let go of that lever and it immediately goes wide open then either the governor gear has failed or the governor spring is way too tight.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Looking at your video a little closer the governor lever looks like it's moving correctly. I was mostly listening when I played the video previously trying to hear how fast it was running. Looks more like a control issue either with the control assembly or the throttle cable.

kohler1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at your video a little closer the governor lever looks like it's moving correctly. I was mostly listening when I played the video previously trying to hear how fast it was running. Looks more like a control issue either with the control assembly or the throttle cable.
@VegetiveSteam - Here's another link showing the throttle control going fast, slow, fast. I don't see the carb throttle adjusting as such. By default it's already wide open which is what the governor set instructions described...do you have any input on what you see? If you click the link there are two additional photos too.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I don't see a governor spring. There should be a short spring about the diameter of a pencil or slightly larger. One end should be attached to the governor lever and the other end to that lever your throttle cable is moving. Item D below is the spring I am talking about.

1655310973361.png

Last edited:

kohler1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I put in the original carb and it fixed the issue. must have had a fuel overload

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I put in the original carb and it fixed the issue. must have had a fuel overload
I noticed where the link connects to the new carb there is no plastic grommet there. Is there on the old carb?