Kohler 26.5 efi crankshaft end play

Kesa32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi , new on here , l bought a used turf tiger ( 2015 build ) with 220 hrs ( supposedly) on it off contractor with a good reputation a year ago
Just recently l was mowing and noticed a slight rubber burning then it starting smoking up from the rear of mower l immediately cut the pto and pulled up
Opening the rear cover with the motor running l noticed the main drive tensioner arm was bouncing around a lot so l took the up to the shed and let it cool down to check it out
I removed both tensioner Springs and checked for play in all pulleys , this is when l found axial movement on the crankshaft by gripping the clutch and testing for any movement, it appears to move in and out about a couple of millimetres, otherwise tight , this
has me concerned
The motor doesn't use oil , doesn't knock , and is well maintained by myself

I found one of the pivot bearings on the main tensioner was seized so l got new ones pressed in this has helped a bit re the belt movement
The pto belt has a bad wear area on the flat side from hitting the body , bits of rubber slung around but it's working ok but I'll replace it soon

So my main concern is the end play , clutch appears tightly bolted on etc , dumped the oil , no glitter , anyone struck this problem before or am l worrying about nothing ??

Cheers Ken

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Locate your engine service manual & check specs.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
will need your model and spec number, crank endplay can vary engine to engine, some may call for .002" to .005" and some may call from .002" to .020" or so...
1638323431537.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need end float to allow the engine to spin
Unless there is a ball bearing that will self centre when running there is nothing to regulate the the position of the crankshaft during use ,
AFAIK there is no thrust washer between the crank and the crankcase ( check the ipl for your exact engine number )
A couple of mm does sound excessive as generally end play would be some thing less than 0.010"
Save your oil and check it for silver traces which would indicate the aluminium i being ground down.
Measure the actual end play by levering the flywheel & measuring the full up & full down position with respect to the crankcase
If you use the flywheel then you can use a vernier with a depth gauge off the op of one of the fins which is convienent .
Mark the fin and check it every season
While you are there, check the flywheel for rock side to side
There should be no movement at all , is there is then the bush is gone and the cases will need to be repaired or replaced .

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Went and pulled the end play specs for the CH26 and ECH 730, 735 740 745 and the crankshaft end play is .0028-.0230 for free end play and .0028-.0468 with thrush bearing.

Kesa32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Measured with verneirs today the movement in and out at the electric clutch end of the crank and got a reading of .44mm of play , of course the original dealer wouldn't do anything about nor did Kohler Australia

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know how you actually did it with the clutch on but the clutch itself has a bearing that can cause movement .
This is why you use something rigid like the flywheel with a clearly defined edge to measure from .

Kesa32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Back again , here's my engine details , l took it for a good run tonight , no belt smoking so that's good , engine running same as always , so I'll worry about this after end of season , my other mower is 26years old , runs a 16hp Vanguard , vertical shaft single cylinder , still runs great but chassis cracking etc , really not suited for this property , hence the Scag

Lots happening atm, I'll
IMG_02122021_222018_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Last edited: