Kohler 25 HP V-twin Brief Loss of Power

jakesmurray

Threads
This engine is on a 48" Craftsman GT5000 garden tractor. While mowing, it will lower the RPMs and lose a little power for about 5 seconds, then ramp right back up to full throttle. The mower still cuts and drives when it does this, but it is a nuisance. It does it about every 5 minutes or so while mowing, and it does not matter if it is going up a slope, down a slope, or on level terrain. The engine has been completely serviced, new spark plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter. It also had an accelerator pump gasket/diaphragm replaced in the carburetor, and at that time the carb was completely cleaned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :cool:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am wondering if you are loosing spark on one cylinder for short periods of time.

jakesmurray

Threads
I am wondering if you are loosing spark on one cylinder for short periods of time.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder how I could check it the instant it acts up?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is called "inline Spark Tester.
inline spark tester.jpg

jakesmurray

Threads
That's probably something I need to invest in...

mcdonell

Threads
I would probably be thinking when did I last change the spark plugs, fuel and air filter.

mcdonell

Threads
2 months ago, right before the season began

Sorry I missed that in your original post.

It does sound like a fuel issue to me. I might see what a little Seafoam in the fuel would do. Also I might check the fuel cap vent.

I have a 4 yr old 48" Craftsman so I am interested to see what you find out.

Good luck.

Last edited:

jakesmurray

Threads
No problem, I'll update this thread with what I find... :thumbsup:

Dpmulvan

Threads
Does it do it right away or after motor warms up?