Kohler 17.5 HP starting problem

electech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have Craftsman riding mower with 17.5 HP Kohler engine CV491. I sit on seat, push in clutch/brake pedal all the way, put throttle on choke, turn key and engine starts, but it immediately dies after that. It dies if I let it on choke or if I take it off of choke to run under normal throttle.

I repeat this process a number of times (5 to 20 times) and eventually it does keep running. After that, I can mow my entire lawn without any running problems. The next time I try to start the engine, it does it again. Seems to not care if it is cold or warm.

I changed fuel filter and gas flows very well from open hose when changing filter. I removed gas hose from carberator and turned over the engine - - - The gas pumps out the end of the hose I removed from the carberator.

Is there a relay that is bad or going bad? Could it be the caberator solenoid? (If yes, how can I check this?)

THANKS for your help!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It could be the carb solenoid. the easiest way to check if it is working is does it click when you turn the key on. If not make sure you have 12v going to the solenoid. If so then replace the solenoid.

Edited to add that I have seen times where stale gas will gum up the plunger and prevent it from working. So check that also.

electech

Forum Newbie
Threads
It could be the carb solenoid. the easiest way to check if it is working is does it click when you turn the key on. If not make sure you have 12v going to the solenoid. If so then replace the solenoid.

Edited to add that I have seen times where stale gas will gum up the plunger and prevent it from working. So check that also.

THANKS, I have NOT been listening for the "click" when I have turn the key to ON. I will try that. Also, If it does not click, I will try removing the solenoid and cleaning up the plunger before buying a new one.

Very good tip and really appreciated.

THANKS again for your help! :smile:

electech

Forum Newbie
Threads
THANKS, I have NOT been listening for the "click" when I have turn the key to ON. I will try that. Also, If it does not click, I will try removing the solenoid and cleaning up the plunger before buying a new one.

Very good tip and really appreciated.

THANKS again for your help! :smile:

UPDATE - - - I have found the problem:

There are 4 positions to the keyed switch - - - "Off", 1-ON (lights), 2-ON (no lights) and "3-starter".

I turned the keyed switch and heard the solenoid click, so I assumed the solinoid was at least trying to actuate and allow the gas to flow into the carberator. However, it continued to have the problem and would not start and keep running when I put the key in position 3-starter and then back to position 2-ON (no lights).

Then I let the key turn to the 2-ON position and went directly to the solinoid wire connector near the solinoid. I could open the connection and close the connection but could not hear the solinoid click. I then turned the key off and then back on to the 1-ON location. This time I could open and close the solinoid wire connector and hear it click every time.

So, I sat on the mower, turned the key to position 3-starter and then back to position 1-ON (lights). YES - - it kept running. I found out that the normal no-light position 2-ON did not make good continuity with the gas solinoid. Every time I turned the mower off and then followed the procedure of using position 1-ON (lights), it kept running.

Not convienent but at least I can mow my lawn any time I want until I can get a new key switch. I disconnected the lights plug under the hood so the lights are OFF. (Trying to not look like a goober mowing my yard during the day with my lights ON.)

I now consider "Friday the 13" (today) as good luck.

Double - Tripple THANKS for your help. :laughing: :biggrin: