Kobalt Battery doesn't stay in place after 10 uses

Spotty

Forum Newbie
Threads
The new Kobalt electric mower at Lowes is near identical clones of their old Greenworks 19" single blade and 20" twin-blade Li-Ion models, other than the change from a green to blue color.

I see several posts here at LawnWorld (and other places on the web) about how after a relatively short period the Kobalt battery no longer stays in place. This is exactly what happened to me today...I can no longer run the mower as the battery doesn't stay in place.....it only starts if I hold it in place.

Some have talked about using shims (cardboard, doorstop) but I can't see how to put anything in place to fix this. Wish I could figure it out as I really need to use it right now. I purchased it last summer and have only used it about 10 times on a small city lot.

The battery is supposed to push in and click. It still clicks but it's not being held far enough down rendering it useless. I guess I'm not too mechanically inclined as I can't see what has failed or broken to keep it from staying all the way in like it use to. It still clicks but after the click I can still push it in further. Did the housing stretch or something? What broke?

To me this looks like a design flaw and would not recommend this to anyone, its only a matter of time this will happen to you as well. Model is Kobalt 1940 (19 inch). Is this also happening to their other models? Did the Greenworks have this problem too?

I've read the Kobalt mower has a 5 year total "no hassle" warranty on the mower and 3 years on the batteries and charger.
Lowe's gives you 90 days to return it no questions asked to the store for a 100% refund or replacement but its been about 1 year now. I've used it only once this year (my grass is mostly shaded and doesn't grow fast). Is this going to cost me?
I did not purchase an extended warranty.

MowerMike

Threads
Yes, this is a design defect on this model only and it was discontinued. It has been replaced with a new model with a different design that does not have this problem. I suggest that you take it to your local Lowe's and request a credit towards an exchange for the new model. The model you have is KM1940-06 and the new model is KM1940-07. The new model uses a different battery, so return and exhange the complete mower, including batteries and charger.

Shop Kobalt 40-Volt Max Lithium Ion (Li-ion) 19-in Deck Width Cordless Electric Push Lawn Mower with Mulching Capability at Lowes.com