Kobalt 80v Cordless Mower not cutting/Bagging

greenpal

Forum Newbie
Threads
I saw some great reviews and just bought it brand new. Looks great but since I am using it for the first time, maybe I am missing something. I tried to mow the lawn which had very tall grass/weeds. It starts well, moves very fast but doesn't look like it was cutting. I adjusted the height but I could see wheels crushing the grass but not cutting. I checked the bag and it was empty. I also tried on a shorter grass adjusting the height. Because this was cut last week, I could see a few tall kinds of grass sticking out. I thought it will pick up, but it didn't. It goes over it but not cut.
This came brand new, just out of the box. The blade is sharp and rotates easily when I try with my hands. I can't believe anything can go wrong in this super popular cool looking machine. Can anyone help or guide me if I am missing anything? I removed the 'Mulch' plug before installing the bag. I would highly appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thank you.
Sahil

MowerMike

Threads
Is the blade turning ? Perhaps you are engaging the self-propel but not the blade ?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blade on correct? Check rotation of motor.

greenpal

Forum Newbie
Threads
Blade on correct? Check rotation of motor.
Thanks for the tip. I am just getting familiar with this mower, but do you think there is any switch to turn on the blades? I did not lift and check, but my assumption is when the mower is on, motor running, then the blade should be rotating? Correct me if I am wrong.

greenpal

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the blade turning ? Perhaps you are engaging the self-propel but not the blade ?
That is a very good point. Yes, it is a self-propelled electric mower, so I am running in self propel mode, where I experience great speed, nice and low motor running, but somehow no cutting.

logert gogert

Threads
please correct me if I'm wrong, but you said it was new right?
so shouldn't have come with a users manual?
i would think it should say somewhere in there how to turn on the blades

MowerMike

Threads
That is a very good point. Yes, it is a self-propelled electric mower, so I am running in self propel mode, where I experience great speed, nice and low motor running, but somehow no cutting.

There are separate motors for the blade and the self-propel mechanism, so it is possible for the mower to move without the blade turning. Usually you have to depress and hold a button and then pull back on a bail bar for the blade motor to turn on and rotate the blade. This is a separate control from the self-propel feature. This should all be explained in the Owner's Manual that should have been included with the mower. It is also possible to push the mower manually with the blade turning, but the self-propel not engaged.

greenpal

Forum Newbie
Threads
please correct me if I'm wrong, but you said it was new right?
so shouldn't have come with a users manual?
i would think it should say somewhere in there how to turn on the blades
You are absolutely right! It is a brand new 'Self-Propelled' electric mower. I bought it because of its operational simplicity. The manual doesn't talk about turning on blades anywhere. So I assumed it is automatic. It did mention there to test/rotate blades by hand before using, just to make sure they move freely. I guess I have to give one more try and see. It is a trusted, great brand and I am assuming it could be ignorance on my part. One more week to learn everything and give it a final shot, and then it is going back!

dougmacm

Threads
I'm assuming you have model KMP 6080-06 as this is the model normally stocked at the store.

Press & hold the black rectangular "safety switch button" (below the battery indicator on console) then pull back on the black bail lever and release the safety switch button once blade starts spinning. Instructions are on page 17 of the manual, the safety switch button is marked "J" and the bail lever is "K".

Here is a link to the manual:

If that link does not work, go here then scroll down to the guides & manuals tab:

Doug